RG200DG3 review by Randall

Randall: RG200DG3

Purchased from: Sam Ash

I have owned this amp for over a year and I have not had any major problems but their is a few concerns that you should keep in mind. Even though the overal tone of the amp is excellent the reverb is horrible if you plan on buying I sugest buying a reverb of some kind. The boost even though it is really good it is erratic at times in how much you get out of it so don't plan on it being 100 percent every time if your playing Live. This amp also needs to be cranked to truely appreciate that great Randall crunch. Lastly on the gain channel it cannot get modern high gain sounds. It sounds great for early Slayer, Maiden, Megadeth, Sabbath so if you want to play death metal or some other related genre it is essential to buy a distortion. I have not used it with a speaker cab so I do not know how well that funtions.

Giving the choice I would probibly buy this amp again but more then likely it's hundred watt cousin or the 300 watt stack of doom. I run my Boss rc2, jekkyl and hyde, Boss super octive, voodoo labs microvibe, (awesome petal just use it and it screams buy me especailly combined with the Randall crunch it sounds pychotic)my beaten to hell Dunlop wah, Danelectro pb&j delay, and a EX holy grail and it sounds absolutly ridiculous I mainly play doom, thrash, and death metal so it suit's my needs. I also got some great blues and classic rock tones from this amp with out a distortion so this amp is not exclusivly for metal. Also when it works right the boost funtion is amazing, but your taking chances with that.

As I mentioned before I had this thing for a year and I have yet to have a problem. It's pretty much built like a tank. I have not gigged with it yet so I do not know how it will deal with that, I will say something about that later, to be fair it has seen some travel and it is doing fine.

Two channels clean and the overdrive side, each with tho different options their is two gain "channels" and the other side you get a boost. I'm guessing it is a hybrid because it's not all tube. It kinda has that tube sound but it does not really their so if you want that all tube sound I sugest looking elsewhere. Also I really do not like the countour function on this amp it in my oppinion it is horrible. The line out is uncompressed so it's a good and a bad thing at the same time, also the effects loop is a pain to manage so place everything infront of the amp if possible.