RG200G2 review by Randall

Randall: RG200G2

I use it with my Samick Torino TR2, and it works really well.It sounds really good. The clean channel sounds very Metallica-esque, which I like. The distortion also sounds like that, but not as much so. It's pretty quiet. There's not that much of a difference between the two distortion channels, the "Vintage" being a little warmer in tone. The distortion gets pretty heavy, but the "modern" gain control on mine causes squealing if it's turned up too high. The "Vintage" distortion is also a lot quieter than the "modern", which can be a problem.Overall, it's pretty good.

I can't wait to get it back, though, because my only other amp is a Fender Frontman 15G, which sucks. I've had it for about 2 years, and other than the two breakdowns, it has worked very well. I'm not sure if I'd replace it, or just buy a different amp, because I haven't played that many other amps. one thing that would be nice would be numbers for all the knobs, but it's fine without them. It's kind of bulky to lug around, it would be nice if it had wheels.

It's pretty durable, but it has broken down before. I took it in, and supposedly the capacitor failed, which caused it to buzz and sound terrible. This has happened twice, and as of now repairs are pending. I would definitely use it to play live, and probably wouldn't use a backup. The vinyl cover on it has gotten kind of beat up over the years, but then again I haven't treated it the best either. so far it's stood up to being dropped a few times, banged into walls, and scraped up.

I play pretty much anything rock, from punk to metal, and this amp works very well for all of them. It has three channels: one clean and two distortion: "vintage" and "modern", with separate volume/tone/reverb controls for the clean and distorted, as well as a master volume channel and gain controls for both distorted channels. The amp is very powerful, I play it mostly in my room, and the loudest I've turned it up is about 5, which is really loud.It's a solid-state.

crystaldragon75
    not everybody can afford to gig with half stacks right away. for a young band thats just getting underway, 2x12's are a good starting point.
    SeanHart213
    my friend used to have one of these. extremely loud and clear. for all of the 2x12 haters, this thing is probly better than your daddy's tube stack lol
    SeanHart213
    forgot to mention: lots of guitar players use combo amps for gigs. Chuck Schuldiner used a marshall valvestate combo his for whole career. i'm sure this randall is perfect for any realistic gig you need two things to use them live. they're called an SM57 and PA system. look it up
    duzit89
    guitargod448 wrote: if this is 200w, shouldn't it be louder than a 120w halfstack?
    not really.. the sound of a halfstack speaker has 4X12's .. making the sound wider,louder, and clearer.. of course depending what kind of amp you got.. it will be decent either way..