RG40R review by Randall

Purchased from: Downtown Music

Using a Samick strat copy with stock strat pickups. I play a lot of neo-classical shred stuff (Yngwie Malmsteen) and some metal (Steve Vai, Pantera, Metallica), and as you probably know - Randall is a heavy metal amp company so it suits my needs perfectly. It gets pretty noisy with gain on full and when its turned up loud but thats pretty normal for single coil pickups anyway. It is very versatile tone wise. On the clean channel I can get a perfect clean blues tone and distortion - Pantera, Metallica, Yngwie, Brian May, Angus Young etc. The ditortion is the best distortion I have ever played ever. Absolutely kicks marshalls ass. But the best thing about this amp is the bass! Oh my god it's amazing, it shakes the ground!

I play mostly shred, some metal and rock also, and it is perfect for these styles. I play a Samick Custom Pro strat through it. I would definately buy another Randall amp if it were lost or stolen. The thing I love about this amp apart from the very versatile distortion is the bass!

I would definately use it at a gig without a backup - very realiable. I haven't had any trouble at all with the amp.

I bought the amp second hand so I don't know what year it was made but it is not in production any more. This amp is very versatile and can be cattered to suit all styles of music. 2 channels - clean and overdrive. It is 40 watts and very loud for a small amp.