RG50TC review by Randall

Randall: RG50TC

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

I am currently using a B.C. Rich warlock bronze series but plan on upgrading soon. This amp even makes this guitar give a brutal and skull crushing tone on gain 1, as I said I mainly play thrash and death metal and this does the job perfectly. Unfortunately it's clean channel distorts very easily even without the boost on, due to this I plan on buying an acoustic moddling pedal of some sort. The clean boost does have a nice subtle distortion to it, which is good if you want a metal amp but still play a bit of blues lets say. I have to say this amp doesn't give much feedback even with the B.C. Rich pickups. I've yet to turn it past 10 O'clock as it is very loud.

I have been playing for about two years and sold my spider 3 75 watt combo to get this and I don't regret that descion for a second. One thing I'd wish I'd done before buying this amp is looking at the clean channel more closely, but it doesn't bother me that much that it distorts easily. If it were stolen or lost I would defintely buy it again. I love the distorion this amp makes on the gain channel. It's thick yet has good treble. It beats the hell out of my old spider 3 and where it lack in versitility to some other amp, such as the Vox AD120VT of my friends, it's distortion channel is truly awesome for the price.

I have banged and bumped this amp around the place and surprisingly it has never broken. I've not had to replace the tubes as of yet. It even fell down in the back of a taxi on the way home form practice, it didn't even have a scratch on it. I plan on gigging it soon and would rely on it without a backup.

This amp is pretty much for straight out metal which is good for me since I usually play death and thrash metal. It has two foot-swithchable channels, an effects loop, clean boost, and two gain types. I tend to not use gain two as it's pretty much same as gain one unfortunately, just a liitle less gain and a bit more bass also gain 1 and two arn't independant channels but just separate gain types. It's 50 watts tube power is more than enough for my bedroom, I have yet to gig with it, but it makes a roar at practice. It has 3 12AX7EH pre-amp tubes and two EL34 power tubes coming out of a 12" celestion speaker making an unbeleivable sound for 250.

axe_thrasher
    Actually I take back what I said about the clean once I fiddled with it I got an amazing clean sound out of it.
    PrestigeRGAx
    yea. it loud for giggage. Just not like big stages like over 1000 ppl unless you mic the amp. I sold mine because I didnt liek it. It wasnt versatile at all but it did one thing..metal and it did it well.
    mattyt81
    axe_thrasher, what settings did you use on the clean channel to get the sound you like?