RG50TC review by Randall

• Reviewer's score: 4.3 Poor
Randall: RG50TC

Purchased from: KMG Music - Belfast

I have an Epiphone Les Paul and have played it through a number of amps. The Randall does the guitar great justice and can help explore the types of sound you are looking for. With the master volume it goes from bedroom level to in-your-face loud as hell within the slightest of adjustments. The clean channel is great especially using it with a good lot of bass to get a bluesy kind of sound.. It can do twangy sound as well but I guess sound is eveyone's own opinion of what they feel is right, the sound of the amp like I said can vary so you'll have good fun experimenting.

Am I the only one who has had the worst of luck with this amp? Is it two faulty amps that I just so happened to get one after another? I don't think so, but if I am, please comment and let me know. Just wanted to warn anyone reading these reviews.. just in case they might be the next person to get the "Rare Faulty Randall RG50TC"

Ah-ha.. Now we get to the part where I can rant a little. I got the amp last Christmas. In the space of a week, it blew.. So I returned it to the store I bought it from. Within a 2 week period a new one was delivered and was working fine. A month or 2 down the line through a handful of practices and 2 or 3 gigs, the amp decided when to change channels all by itself.. In more detail, If it was pushed too loud on the dirty channel, it switched to clean, and when the sound died down a bit, it switched back to the dirty channel. Sent back to the dealer in England and they "sorted it out" It came back and within 3 days, literally after about 2 chords at a band practice *BOOM* and smoke started rising from the vents on top. Packed it up, sent it back. Arrived back - about a 2-3months later, took it to do some recording, some practices (so in no way gig-loud) and a blue flash came from the back of it, I instantly turned it off as I thought it may be an electrical problem. So over the course of a year, iv had 2 RG50TC's, the later of the 2 has had 3 major problems.. And I am currently looking for a new amplifier..Reliability... In my eyes is zero.. But 1 is the lowest I can go on the ratings..

The Randall RG50TC from my experience is a metal sounding amp. I play classic rock tunes and have no real need for the pounding metal ability I'm sure it has. I got the amp bought for me for a Christmas present so that is why I am unsure of the cost. As far as the sound goes i play with as little gain on the dirty channel as possible, between 1 and 2 if there were any numbering labels on the knobs. It does a great job for a bedroom amp and in my use of it that is basically all I can say it is good for.. I'll reveal more when it gets to the 'Reliability' section.

Bidley
    StephenRB I got the amp bought for me for a Christmas present so that is why I am unsure of the cost So I returned it to the store I bought it from All I can deduce from this is that you either bought yourself a Christmas present without knowing, or there is a faint waft of bovine faeces flowing through that review.