RG50TC review by Randall

Randall: RG50TC

Price paid: C$ 500

Purchased from: L.A. Music

I use an Epiphone Les Paul Tradition Pro. It's great for the coiltapping which really let's me get the most out of every amp I play. It definetly fits my love for metal. I'm not into death metal or, metalcore, but stuff like A7X, Disturbed, and 80's Thrash. The overdrive can pretty much only do metal and hard rock because it's so high gain. The boosted cleans do your blues. You could probably do your classic rock through the really boosted cleans but it gets sort of muddy when really boosted. No big deal though. I keep the boost at around half and put a Boss superoverdrive in front of it (like $60) and it sounds great. I think the cleans actually don't sound that bad. Of course it can in no way compare with Fender cleans but they will do. With single coils the cleans are kinda dead but with humbuckers they're warm and full. If you full boost the clean channels it'll break up a little but the boosted clean channel is when it gets fun. The amount of dynamics it adds to your playing is unbelievable. Play soft. Clean. Give your guitar the smackdown, crunched up. But chances are you'll buy this amp for the overdrives. Metallica in a box. Definetaly a James hetfield tone. The overdrive is split into two sub channels. The second is more saturated than the first. There is also a little less gain. I mostly play through the first overdrive because I find the low end to be much tighter. I don't play anything more than heavier than metal but I'm sure it can do death metal and metalcore. Probably the biggest complaint I have about the amp is the noise. It will definetly hum and feedback past half volume. The effects loop comes in handy here to run a noise gate. Cranking this amp up makes this amp even more awesome and less muddy but as I said before it does not sound bad at all for low volumes. All in all I'm rating an 8 because the crunch could be less muddy and more tight and the amount of noise this amp makes.

Overall I love this beast of an amp. If it were lost or stolen I would kickass that persons ass down to hell because these are out of production now. It fit my style of music pretty well. I've been playing for a year and a half now (but a little better than your average year and a half player if I do say so myself). I basically own a Dunlop Crybaby, a Boss overdrive and my guitar. Everything sounds great through it. I have compared it to the Marshall JMD:1 and there is absolutely no comparison when it comes to the overdrives. The Marshall Cleans are awesome though I must say but the JMD:1 costs $900. One thing I am bummed out about is the fact it didn't come with a footswitch. They don't make them anymore so they are extremely hard to find. If you see one of these for sale do yourself a favor and get it. You'll be surprised about the tones that come from this thing. I'm pissed about the footswitch so an 8 for this section.

I have done three gigs with this amp and A LOT of practices. Nothing has ever happened to it. It sounds great every night and I can't stop getting compliments from my band mates and even people in the audience. I've never changed the tubes or the speaker but everything looks extremely accessible from the back. I definetly feel as if I don't need a back up. I bump it everywhere and trust me, this things built like a tank. I have no complaints so a 10 here.

I purchase this amp three months ago. It's all an all tube amp with a celestion speaker. It has two channels (clean and overdriven). The Overdrive has two different overdrives, and clean channel has a boost switch. A great feature is it's effects loop effects loop. It can be switched for floor and rack effects. I bought it because i started playing in a band and needed to desperatly upgrade from my Line 6 spider 4 15 watter. I was such a steal because it was a showroom product. It had some scratches in the sides so i got $200 off. Score! The amp is 50 watts. I use the volumes on less than half for gigs over 400 people. It's also great for practice as it does not sound horrible on low volume as most tube amps do. I play classic rock, hard rock, blues, and of course METAL! It's actually pretty versatile mostly due too the clean boost. It has a three band eq. To be honest in the overdriven section I never touch it. There is only one position where it sounds good and that's with full bass, full treble, and the mids completely cut out. It honestly screams like that but sometime you want to boost the mids a little. No way. It just sounds like mush with any mids. For that reason -3 for the eq. But +1 for the versatility and effects loop so were at 8/10.

marcelwey
    Yes u can switch between the gain stages with a footswitch! Somebody telling also that the HIGH input is for ACTIVE kinds and LOW for single coils, that's by far not true! Its the opposite, active pickups / humbuckers gives a better sound at the LOW input! And vice versa! The low input in this amp is attenuated! This amp really rocks!
    nmorales30
    Hi, The volume of the overdrive channel has a very sharp buzz, also it rises and goes down and sometimes it stops sounding, when this happens I move the volume control and it sounds again, I cleaned the volume control with alcohol, the rise and down and the buzz disappeared and began to sound good, but after a day the problem returns. I do not know if the volume pot can cause this, I noticed that the volume pot is 200 ohms, but the Master volume pot only indicates AB, what resistance may be the Master volume control?