RG75D/G2 review by Randall

Randall: RG75D/G2

Purchased from: Gear Music

I use a Dean FBD and Ibanez Gio with this amp. With my Dean I use a dimebucker and a zebra pickup. With my Ibanez I use 2 powerhouse pickups. This amp suits my music styles perfectly (mostly heavy metal, thrash metal, death metal). I find that this amp is not noisy at all, no feedback, hiss or hum. As far as I know the clean channel only distorts when the bass is past 7.5 and the treble is on too high (9 or 10). I have already talked about the distortion before. I recently got an acoustic guitar and I like plugging it into this amp. The clean sound is amazing, and when I turn on the Reverb setting on 6 it sounds incredible!

I have been playing for about 3 years now. I own a Marshall MG10CD (shitty little thing), an SX Scorpion Acoustic Lefty, Dean FBD Lefty, and Ibanez Gio Lefty, and an Ibanez Smashbox distortion pedal (don't use it anymore). If it were stolen or lost I would definitely buy it again because I am very happy with this amplifier, and for the time being it suits me perfectly. It is not room or economically effective for me to get a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier just yet, or a 6505 just yet. This amp is a perfect for my skill level and my favorite tones. One thing I wish it had is 2 speakers instead of 1, this may be me but 2 speakers sound a bit better than 1 on these RG models (I tried out a 2 speaker model before and it sounded a tad better).

I would definitely depend on it in a gig, seems like a very sturdy and well built amplifier. It has never crapped out on me before, but that's mainly because it's so new. There is no need for regular servicing, mostly because it's not a full tube amp. it's a tube hybrid amp. Only one tube. I keep this amp in a room with normal temperature, with good airflow between the amp and a wall. I do not bang it up or sit on it. I do not block the fan, and I don't take it apart for fun (like I do with my MG). No neglect from me.

First off, I'd like to say that this is an amazing amplifier which suits me and my styles perfectly. I think this amp was made in 2006 but I could be wrong. I mostly play heavy metal and hard rock with the occasional clean song. It has 2 channels on it, the overdrive and the clean. The clean channel sounds bad unless you know how to EQ it good, it doesn't sound good with all knobs turned up to ten, or zero or 5. You have to play with it to get that amazing clean sound. The overdrive channel is amazing, I can have a very high gain setting on it, or a british sort of gain setting. It has a voicing feature on the mid's. what's great is that on the overdrive channel there are 2 gains, both which you can adjust, so if I am ever in the bluesy tone mood, I can turn down the gain on the "Gain 1" setting while leaving the "Gain 2" setting on full. It has effects built into it, which I find is useful because I like to use my reverb and chorus alot. I also like to use them both together sometimes and it's awesome because there is a "reverb + chorus" setting on it. Another awesome thing is that there is an effects knob on both the overdrive and clean channels, so for overdrive I can have th effects knob turned on 3, and when I turn the effects on with the foot Switch I can get a slight reverb, but on my clean channel I can have the effects knob on 7 and have a lot of reverb on it. I don't like the flanger, phaser or tremolo effects on this amp, but that's mostly because I don't like to use those effects in general. I use this amp at home, and jams with my buddies. It gets the job done nicely. One feature I wish it had is more gain. I am a person who likes his gain, and likes lots of it. This amp has a lot of it, but it could have more. But that is good as well because it's helping me to clean up my playing.

gface
    I have had this amp for a while now, i havnt yet dialed in a good metal tone. the cleans are good and so are the effects, i used a MT-2 and it was better than than gain on this (obviously) i have since sold the MT-2 and ordering a metal muff, this amp is not a good metal amp.... save your money...