RG75DG3 review by Randall

Randall: RG75DG3

Price paid: C$ 650

Purchased from: Chez La Guitarre

My chain currently consists of the following - Ibanez ARC 300 guitar (dual humbuckers) > Boss TU-3 tuner > Boss AC-3 Acoustic Simulator > Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature Wah > Randall RG75G3. I play everything from rock to metal to country to blues, not a lot of jazz. I think the amp mostly suits more to the rock/metal side of things. The amp has a MASSIVE amount of gain on tap. I have been able to get a good blues/classic rock tone on the gain channel turning the gain on Vintage overdrive to 2 and lowering my guitar volume a bit and rolling off a bit of tone. It fits all my styles quite nicely. The amp's clean channel does just that - stays clean. It doesn't distort at all on any setting with the exception of diming the controls and hitting the boost, but I would never do that in any application. I'm going to get a chorus pedal soon just to add a bit of spice to the clean sound itself. Distortion settings can handle just about anything, but like I said, it's mostly for the hard rock/metal stylings as opposed to blues and classic rock, but since metal is my mainstay, it's all good.

As I said above, I've been playing everything and anything for the past 7 years and love it. This amp is a great match for most of what I play, but I do wish the lower gain channel was just that - lower gain. I'll probably buy an overdrive pedal and run it through the clean channel for my blues/classic rock tones if I can get one soon. I had no surprises when I bought the amp, as I had gotten introduced to it in my school's music program (only electric guitar amp available) and I knew all the ins and outs. If it were stolen/lost, I would either hunt down the bastard/bitch that stole it and kick the shit out of them, or just go out and buy another one. I didn't compare it to anything because I knew it was what I wanted at the time, and still love it. I am currently looking at getting an Orange Rockerverb 50 amp head for when I start gigging in an actual band situation. Overall I would definately recommend this amp.

I can totally depend on this amp. It has given me a few problems here and there, but nothing totally out there. I did accidentally mess up my amp once because I was running it through a PA at a different voltage and it ended up f--king up my transformer in the amp which lead to me getting it replaced (thank God it was under warranty!), and then a capacitor started leaking fluid a couple months back but that was a simple fix for a local repairman.

Amplifier specs are as follows: - 75 watts, solid state - 2 channels - overdrive (with vintage/modern option) and clean (w/ boost on footswitch - Plate reverb (I believe) - 15" Celestion speaker - Four button footswitch w/ connection cable included (Channel select, gain selection for overdrive channel, clean boost and reverb). It does have an effect loop but I don't use it. I run all my pedals through the front of the amp. - No headphone jack I think it has all the features I'm ever going to need, so no complaints. I don't use the reverb a lot of the time, so I usually just turn it off. I use this amp for the occasional gig with my friends, jamming at home and for playing at my church.