RH150G3 review by Randall

Randall: RH150G3

Purchased from: Music Go Round

I play a PRS Tremonti SE loaded with EMG 81/85 pickups tuned to Drop C. Randall is known for making hi-gain amps geared towards more aggressive rock/metal, etc (Randall is endorsed by artists such as Dan Donegan of Disturbed, John Connolly and Clint Lowery of Sevendust, Aaron Fink of Breaking Benjamin, Scott Ian of Anthrax, Kirk Hammett, the late Dimebag Darrell, etc.) This amp is no exception; it can easily handle some of the most heavy and aggressive styles of music with ease. Lots of clarity even with the gain at 10, massive tight low end, screaming highs, just a well rounded sound. That said, even though it is a rock/metal amp, it is very versatile. It can probably handle anything you throw at it. Nice clean sound (nicer than most hi-gain heads I've played); if you crank the reverb and use your neck or middle positions it is possible to get a Tremonti-style clean sound. The only grievances I have against the amp is 1) Poor reverb, and 2) Because it is a hi-gain head, your higher-gain sounds can be prone to feedback, even with low-noise EMGs. A noise gate (like an MXR Smart Gate) would easily counteract that. All in all, sounds pretty damn good. Exactly what I'm going for (hard alt-rock/metal a la Seether, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, Disturbed, etc).

Exactly what I was looking for. Fits the style of music I play and works very well with my EMG-loaded PRS. I sold my Peavey Ultra Plus head to get this rig. Very wise move on my part. Also note that it is a very affordable head, not to mention that it is also right up there with most higher-end amps, even with it's less-than-$500-new price tag. I'd recommend this to anyone seeking a tight, punchy hi-gain sound, but needs a good clean as well.

Haven't gigged with it yet (I'm in between bands), but I have transported it many places and it has held up. More reliable than a tube head, because it's mainly solid-state, and looks and feels far more sturdy than the Randall R412JX cab that came with it (I'm about to get rid of the cab, I'm using my Marshall 1960A cab instead). I feel very confident about it.

Believe the amp was made in 2006/2007. This is a 150W hybrid amp (i.e., solid-state preamp driven by a 12AT7-powered power section). Has 2 channels (your typical clean and dirty sounds), but the dirty channel has 2 gain modes (gain 1 is more of a vintage hi-gain, Gain 2 is a totally modern, metallic hi-gain). The clean has a boost switch that is footswitchable (as is the gain selector). The channels have individual 3-band EQs (the dirty channel also has a voicing switch which scoops the mids), volume, and reverb. There is a footswitchable reverb/effects loop. It is a totally gig-worthy head by features.

Shreddin 4 Life
    HeavyMetalDevil
    Shreddin 4 Life wrote: HeavyMetalDevil wrote: I've checked this amp in the store, and after a test I wasn't really satisfied. To me, it lacks some gain. Perhaps I had to turn the volume up. Or the guitar I tested it with sucks, I don't know. It was an Italia Maranello, some ugly ass copy of a duesenberg Les Paul model. Anyway, I'll check this amp again after I will have bought my new guitar. And that's truely going to be an Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul EX That's prolly it, grab a guitar with some EMGs, Seymours, or Di MArzios and trust me u won't be disappointed
    Next week I'm going to test it again with my new guitar, an ESP LTD EX-400 with EMGs, and I'm surely going to crank this bitch some up! I'll post an updat next week.
    HeavyMetalDevil
    Owkay, here I'm back with my update. This amp ROCKS, damn, wish I had more money to buy it together with my guitar. It has an awesome overdrive channel. You can even play clean on this channel if you turn the volume down on your guitar. Awesome. I say it again, if I had the bucks (or euros, as I am belgian) I would certainly buy this amp!
    VORTEX3333 wrote: i want one but my local store doesn't stock it :'(
    ask 'em to order it, you won't be disappointed, it sounds great:p but it depends on what kind of music you like though, don't expect some bluesy sh*t, this one is straight to your face! Personally, I'm saving money to buy a V2 in the future.
    brentondig
    I'm thinking of getting one, but I have a 16 ohm Vader 2x12 cab. I thought this amp has 4 ohms.
    Guitar Sushi
    I own this amp also and am not nearly as impressed as the reviews make this amp. The amp lack gain pure and simple. It's not dirty enough. And the difference between the two channels of gain is minimal.
    VengefulTANK17
    just bought the rh150 g3 plus with 2 randall 400w cabs for $1000 off craigslist because my line 6 spider 3 150w half stack took a shit only after 2 years (yes i know beginner amp but best for the money i had.. obviously compared to the line 6 this thing blows it out of the water as far as sound and how loud it gets.. playing pantera, metallica, or even A7X out of it sounds amazing.. it is deffinetly worth the money..