RH150G3 review by Randall

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Randall: RH150G3

Purchased from: Fleabay

I play both a Dean HardTail, with 2 Duncan designed pickups, for rock/clean/bit of metal, and a epi les paul fitted with Bareknuckle Warpigs, for detuned playing. The amp handles all 3 styles with easy, providing enough midrange crunch on Gain 1 to handle older rock, whereas the gain 2 setting has more than enough distortion on its own, plenty of bass (the cab helps this however) for lower tunings, and a superb bite. Using the higher gain setting does result in a fair bit of feedback between playing so invest in a noise gate or a killswitch! The clean channel is surprisingly good (often overlooked on "metal" amps) with lots of clarity and real feedback from the EQ. You can also boost it to get a bit of breakup at higher volumes. The distortion is very "american", so you're looking at more Lamb of God than Iron maiden!

I play mainly metal, bit of hardcore, blues, rock, "clean", I try and keep it varied (constant chugging gets boring after a while). The amp suits all styles well in my opinion. If it was stolen or lost, it would be hard to find another one, but I would defiantly get another Randall. Like all "big" amps it weighs a fair bit so that's something to take into account if you're weak. My last amp was an old solid state Laney GH120 so this was somewhat of an upgrade! If you can get a 2nd hand one cheap, and you need a solid, versatile amp, then I highly recommend one.

I brought this amp already broken from Ebay for 60. It apparently just had a blown transformer, but after just over 200 of repair work, it turned out the transformer issue had cook the rest of the circuit boards, which needed replacing. Also, parts are not available in the UK. After the repair work this amp has been flawless however I would consider a backup if I was gigging.

This is a 2006 model, 2 channel hybrid amp. It has a 12AT7 tube driving a MOSFET power section to produce 150w of power. It has 2 foot switchable channels, clean and gain. The amp features 2 gain stages, with a voicing switch, contour control and its own separate EQ. It has a stereo FX loop, and finally, a reverb function. The clean channel also has a boost option. I use this amp for home practice through a Randal RA412XL100 cab. It is a fairly basic amp, and I think the features included reflect this. Everything is clearly marked and easy to use. It also has more than enough power for any situation! Randall also made a 300w version but I cannot imagine using that for home practice.

RX120D
    742627000017 wrote: Can this amp get as much distortion as Pat O' Brien of Corpse gets?
    No, but if you add a Tube Screamer and a Noise Suppressor, it will. Great Amps.
    themelodicdeathshow
    He uses a mesa tiple rec with an unmodded boss mt-2 in front of the amp, thats right an unmodded mt-2! So im guessing youd be better off getting an all valve amp geared towards high gain and throwing a mt-2 in front of it.
    Fat Lard
    I have owned this amp w/ a matching cab for a few years and if I could rewind time, I wouldn't have bought it... The bass cuts out completely if turned past 6ish, and it's just too boomy and muffled unless set at 3. With some pedals you can get some great sounds out of it, don't get me wrong, but I regret not just saving up for a higher end amp like an Orange or something... Have to take the head to the shop when they're opened tomorrow to have them look at ANOTHER problem (Master volume cuts off COMPLETELY after 1 oclock). After just putting in a new tube a few months ago too... This will be the third time having to take it in to the shop for one reason or another, and it has caused a bunch of problems when trying to jam with people. If you go on the Randall forums into the RH150G3's section, you'll notice there's a good amount of threads created about amp problems, especially the bass part. I bought this amp brand new from a manufacturer unwittingly off Ebay, seeing it was a cheap entry level brand name head with some good Youtube sound clips, but I really regret it. This amp pisses me off.
    Vic-Sox-Croll
    Crikey! All this bitching cos the reverb 'sucks' = it's a fkn amp & one of the best I ever played (I been playing 30 years & have had 5 albums released). If you want FX, buy a processor! This amp kicks serious *ss! I use a Metal Muff or a Digitech GRUNGE thru the clean channel on this. You can get by on the gain channel without a distortion if you have to & I never said that about a head before...
    jayalex2013
    Hi all Randall freaks, im one too! Would someone be kind enough to let me know howmany valves are fitted on the RH150 G3 PLUS and what are the names / models or numbers of these valves, as im getting an amp from overseas and would consider getting a spare valve kit too. THANKS A MILLION GUYS!!
    jayalex2013