RH300G3 review by Randall

Randall: RH300G3

Purchased from: musicians friend

For my band I use three guitars mainly, a PRS SE custom with EMG 81 and 85, an Epiphone Explorer 59' reissue with EMG 81 and 60 and lastly my LTD EC-400VF with JB and 59'(I think) pickups. All of these guitars sound fantastic through this amp with any style that I play in. The EMG's do what they are supposed to do, give nice tight rhythms and leads. Where this amp really shines is when I use my LTD I love how it sounds with passive pickups. If you want a full scale amp demo of how it sounds check it out on YouTube. I have posted a amp demo. Just search for: thefallenillusion and there it is. I do use a Rocktron Hush noise gate because this amp does get a little noisy especially when you have it cranked. As soon as you put any noise gate in the FX loop its instantly quiet. The only problem that I have encountered for this amp is the clean channel. Yes I realize that it is a glorified solid state amp and SS amps are notorious for crappy cleans, but... With some tweaking chorus and delay you can get a pretty good clean tone. When playing at high volume on cleans it does break up a little bit. I like it though because if you are playing clean at high volume and you engage the clean boost you can get a nice little crunch going. Now the gain...it is a Randall and Randall gives their amps a retarded amount of gain. The first gain stage can be rolled back to give a nice classic rock on some low grade steroids tone and around 7 or 8 o'clock you are going to get into the realm of anything metal. The second gain stage is just ridiculous. I use it mainly for a solo boost. When playing outright on the second gain stage it is much noisier than the first so that's where your noise gate will definitely come in handy. There is also a noticeable volume difference in the second gain stage and like I said it makes a perfect solo boost. The cool thing about the gain stages is that it has a contour dial. This contour dial makes changes to (what I can tell) is the midrange area of the eq section. Use this as well as the gain texture selector and you have endless styles and sounds of distortion from this amp. I rate this portion an 8 just because of the clean channel and what you have to use to make it sound decent.

Like I said before I play everything from country to metal and this amp suits MY tastes. This amp will definitely not be for everyone. If you are looking for glassy tube tones and tube warmth this is NOT the amp for you. If you are looking for a metal machine for a great price this is a great amp. I have been playing guitar for 13 years and I have owned a lot of amps. This amp by far is the best I have owned so far. I love everything about this amp and hate nothing. I definitely got what I payed for. If I decide to upgrade my amp I will be staying in the Randall line of amps. For an upgrade I'm looking at either the V2 or T2 series, but for now and probably the distant future this amp is awesome!

This amp is a TANK and it is super reliable. I know this from experience. In my last band we had a beer mishap during practice where a beer was poured on this amp. I thought it was done, but we let it dry out and I opened it up and used one of those air in a can things to blow it out. I plugged it back in and let it rip. I still think it sounds better after it had its beer. Lol. I use this amp without a backup and I trust it completely to get me through any practice or show. Other than that I have never had a problem with the amp just the cabinets that I was using. I use a Peavey 5150 cab with this head now and it just rips.

Alright for my first review on UG, I'll be reviewing my Randall Rh300 G3. I'm not entirely sure what year this amp was made, but I bought it off of musicians friend last year for right around 600 USD. The serial number of this amp is G7070605A. This amp is the big daddy of the RH series with 300 watts of punishing power at 4 ohms and 200 watts at 8 ohms. The Rh300 is a Valve Dynamic amplifier, it uses a 12ax7 (I use a 12ax7c) preamp tube with a Mosfet power amp section. In my opinion the Randall amps do this quite nicely. This amp has 2 main channels, the clean channel has a boost that is very useful and the gain channel has 2 stages. I play everything from country to metal and this amp does it all very nicely. For more amp features, the RH300 has an effects loop with level controls, a line out, and a ground lift selector. The only thing I don't use is the ground lift, there just isn't a use for this feature for me. This amp has more than enough power to play live with my band, and it matches my style perfectly.

RR3tran
    Good review man. And I thought the use of the word 'retarded' wasn't out of place at all. Made sense to me and gave me a good idea of how much gain it gets. I'm looking into getting one of these. What kind of cab are you running it through?
    PlayFreebirdNow
    iheartgun wrote: thanks for your input but the last time i checked this website doesn't require you to have a degree in English. If you have nothing else better to do than to complain about a word that i have used incorrectly move on and go back to your homework
    Yeah, but you do sound stupid wording things the way you do. Maybe you should try to come across as knowledgeable, so that your review seems more credible.
    iheartgun
    L2112Lif wrote: I AM going to break his balls over the use of the word retarded, because if he was trying to objectively review the thing, retarded is the wrong word to describe an amount. I don't know, maybe its my dad hovering over my english homework, yelling at me whenever I incorrectly used any word that made this sort of thing unconscionable in the objective review of an amplifier. Or, perhaps its that I got up, saw this, and, the state of sleep deprivation I was in, reacted like dad.
    FortheLifeless
    Oh sure, blame the father problems. I may be checking this amp out in the future, but I'm sure yet. Seems nice.
    donedeal28
    Stopped reading at the blatant misuse of retarded. Not because its not a politically correct term, but you obviously don't know that the word MEANS.
    No I'm pretty sure he knows what it means, you're just being an unconscionable ball breaker. It's not a big deal.
    L2112Lif
    Oxidation_Shed
    FreekBos wrote: Thank you for telling me this is not a warmth tube amp in the summary text. It kept me from reading the entire article.
    It's a Randall, were you expecting AC30-like tones?
    Fender Dane.
    It looks pretty cool but it sure is ugly. On the other hand metal isn't supposed to be particaly pretty.
    FreekBos
    silas4815
    This amp is awesome though. It's my amp I use for shows. With bass on 3 It still vibrates the stage when I chug. I get a lot of compliments on my sound. I run a sonic maximizer pedal through the effects loop. Plus I'm the only guitar player in the band and my Randall holds it down. I run two 4x12 cabs on both sides of stage.
    silas4815
    Why does it say this amp is equipped with a pre amp tube then? Or valve in pre amp section? Is it really in the power amp. And..Will it ever need replacing?
    silas4815
    The amp is a valve amp which is equipped with a single pre amp tube. Has anyone experimented in putting a different kind of tube in it?
    belleraphon
    It uses a 12at7 in the power amp not the pre amp. yes you can change it for any 12ax7 tube. Its a mosfet amp
    Charlie4
    This amp is not for tone hounds imo. Solid state amps can be great for clean tones(JC 120)etc.
    vanmanson wrote: justinb904 : I've got the 75 watt combo version of this amp and it is pretty badass. The only thing it can't do it the low to mid gain tube-y sounds. A very good amp if you're going for metal on a budget. dude, no combo amp is metal. u just look stupid playing on something that weak. get a real amp if u wanna be metal.
    If you mean only a halfstack is metal than you fail.
    justinb904
    iheartgun
    To those of you who didn't pick apart my post thanks for reading. Those of you that did, remember that this is my first review of anything for this site. Chill the hell out, but i will double check next time to make sure that my reviews pass UG's English class.
    Helicopters!
    lukas1324
    iheartgun
    lukas1324 wrote: damn. would this amp be good for like heavy metal? death metal? screamo? im talkin, metllica, slipknot, the devil wears prada? jus curious, i need a new amp.
    lol i hope your joking.....but to be fair yes it will cover all of that with ease.
    Helicopters! wrote: Guys, there's so much gain it's retarded. Like you'd be retarded to want more gain. Also, nice review! It's loads better than the "omg this amp is a $600 godsend and nothing could ever be better for any purpose whatsoever even if you need a glassy clean practice amp" stuff that I see a lot here.
    thanks man. thats exactly why i wrote this.
    vanmanson
    sefg77
    found it had way to much low freq.,cut midds. type sound even with the tone turned all the way up and bass down and with various guitars especially my ibanez with emg's. Bought a boss ds2 as a booster pedal the with the mid boost, tweaked with the settings now have the perfect sound using it with a mustaine signature cab and with the emg equipped ibanez. The sound cuts through anything, i have the 300w head never had to turn it up above 4, very happy with it, wont be considering a tube amp anytime soon.
    HoddiDarko
    I have had this amp for 2 years now. It's a great amp for band practising but not for gigs. There was a huge problem with many RH300 amps I've heard. If you turn the volume up to 7 on both master and level (gain channel), then the sound is very likely going to die for a few secs every now and then. But having that volum at 6,6 or so is a whole lot of power, I mean, It is a 300 watt amplifier... But it sound pretty sweet in my opinion. I used it mostly for death metal and stuff like that and it workd perfectly for that. And I had the gain on like 3 or so, that is just enough gain is the volume is high up. Putting the gain higher will only produce feedback.
    hamtheman222
    Good review man, ignore these losers that have nothing better to do than argue on the Internet. Might get one of these amps.
    Co-man-do
    Im considering this amp. I play extreame metal (Thrash, death, groove, ect) and i find that normal SS amps are mental for gain, but they lack good tone, and valve amps have amazing tone but lack mental gain. So in theory this amp is perfect for me or is it?
    joshmassey
    i have this amp, its been litterally tipped and thrown to the ground, and i think it only pissed it off and made it more agressive haha. good review, and to anyone whos talking negative against it, go and by a different amp if you dont like it. that simple. or do what real musicians do and play with the settings and get your own unique sound.
    Necrolysis
    yet you posted anyways? thank you for telling me this useless information. you could have just clicked back.
    HappyGene
    Two things: 1) I think the amp looks cool! 2) LNblahblah is very wrong about the word retarded. In 2008 or 2009, the SRO (one of the most powerful challenged individual advocacies/governing bodies in North America) sided with the ARC and reinstated retarded as an appropriate moniker, as in Mentally Retarded. I know this is wishful thinking, but some people ought not to open their mouths nor lift their mouse or pencil. If you don't know, don't go. You're attitude is very disappointing.
    L2112Lif