RH300G3 Review

8,772
review (1) pictures (2) 34 comments vote for this gear:
RH300G3 Reviewed by: iheartgun, on july 16, 2010

Purchased from: musicians friend

Features: Alright for my first review on UG, I'll be reviewing my Randall Rh300 G3. I'm not entirely sure what year this amp was made, but I bought it off of musicians friend last year for right around 600 USD. The serial number of this amp is G7070605A. This amp is the big daddy of the RH series with 300 watts of punishing power at 4 ohms and 200 watts at 8 ohms. The Rh300 is a Valve Dynamic amplifier, it uses a 12ax7 (I use a 12ax7c) preamp tube with a Mosfet power amp section. In my opinion the Randall amps do this quite nicely. This amp has 2 main channels, the clean channel has a boost that is very useful and the gain channel has 2 stages. I play everything from country to metal and this amp does it all very nicely. For more amp features, the RH300 has an effects loop with level controls, a line out, and a ground lift selector. The only thing I don't use is the ground lift, there just isn't a use for this feature for me. This amp has more than enough power to play live with my band, and it matches my style perfectly. // 10

Sound: For my band I use three guitars mainly, a PRS SE custom with EMG 81 and 85, an Epiphone Explorer 59' reissue with EMG 81 and 60 and lastly my LTD EC-400VF with JB and 59'(I think) pickups. All of these guitars sound fantastic through this amp with any style that I play in. The EMG's do what they are supposed to do, give nice tight rhythms and leads. Where this amp really shines is when I use my LTD I love how it sounds with passive pickups. If you want a full scale amp demo of how it sounds check it out on YouTube. I have posted a amp demo. Just search for: thefallenillusion and there it is. I do use a Rocktron Hush noise gate because this amp does get a little noisy especially when you have it cranked. As soon as you put any noise gate in the FX loop its instantly quiet. The only problem that I have encountered for this amp is the clean channel. Yes I realize that it is a glorified solid state amp and SS amps are notorious for crappy cleans, but... With some tweaking chorus and delay you can get a pretty good clean tone. When playing at high volume on cleans it does break up a little bit. I like it though because if you are playing clean at high volume and you engage the clean boost you can get a nice little crunch going. Now the gain...it is a Randall and Randall gives their amps a retarded amount of gain. The first gain stage can be rolled back to give a nice classic rock on some low grade steroids tone and around 7 or 8 o'clock you are going to get into the realm of anything metal. The second gain stage is just ridiculous. I use it mainly for a solo boost. When playing outright on the second gain stage it is much noisier than the first so that's where your noise gate will definitely come in handy. There is also a noticeable volume difference in the second gain stage and like I said it makes a perfect solo boost. The cool thing about the gain stages is that it has a contour dial. This contour dial makes changes to (what I can tell) is the midrange area of the eq section. Use this as well as the gain texture selector and you have endless styles and sounds of distortion from this amp. I rate this portion an 8 just because of the clean channel and what you have to use to make it sound decent. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is a TANK and it is super reliable. I know this from experience. In my last band we had a beer mishap during practice where a beer was poured on this amp. I thought it was done, but we let it dry out and I opened it up and used one of those air in a can things to blow it out. I plugged it back in and let it rip. I still think it sounds better after it had its beer. Lol. I use this amp without a backup and I trust it completely to get me through any practice or show. Other than that I have never had a problem with the amp just the cabinets that I was using. I use a Peavey 5150 cab with this head now and it just rips. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before I play everything from country to metal and this amp suits MY tastes. This amp will definitely not be for everyone. If you are looking for glassy tube tones and tube warmth this is NOT the amp for you. If you are looking for a metal machine for a great price this is a great amp. I have been playing guitar for 13 years and I have owned a lot of amps. This amp by far is the best I have owned so far. I love everything about this amp and hate nothing. I definitely got what I payed for. If I decide to upgrade my amp I will be staying in the Randall line of amps. For an upgrade I'm looking at either the V2 or T2 series, but for now and probably the distant future this amp is awesome! // 10

Comments