RH50T review by Randall

Randall: RH50T

Purchased from: Thomann Cyberstore

I am currently playing a Jackson RR24 limited Edition with yellow bevels with a single brutal EMG 81 active humbucker. It suits my style very well which is everything from hard rock and classic heavy metal to brutal death metal. I mostly play melodic death metal though for example: Children Of Bodom, Norther and Arch Enemy. I play with this at high volumes at band practices and what surprises me is the low noise even on full gain! I usually cut down the mids and take up the treble a bit and I can't turn the bass on full since this will make the room shake quite much. This amp is very versatile to everything and that's what mostly impressed me. This can handle Clean tones very well under volume 7 before turning dirty and they are thick or sparkly or however you want it to be. This amp can make just about every sound and there is 2 overdrive channels to play with. Now let's stop there a bit. there's 2 gain stages red and green gain which are very different. Red gain, the usually bassy and low end heavy metal sound but can also be turned to softer music and rock. This will be used by metal freaks and to get that satisfying drop C tuning riffage brutality. I myself play in standard D and it provides nice kicks into powerchords and rhythm, also leads if you want it to. Green gain, this is a bit vintage like sparkling distortion. Definetly bright sounding and clear. Does not have much of bass but it's got more gain to play with but it's still too much to turn up the gain to full. I use this for my solos because they cut through very good on this setting and sound great. So this a lead sound. The red gain is truly massive and destroying brutal distortion when I play it. Provides nice punch and clarity too. I don't need a pedal to go with this and it has a lot of gain to play with. It gets metal tunes right out of the box. I get decent cleans from a EMG 81, can you believe it? It's true. Excellent!

Well I said earlier I play metal and this suits perfect to that area. I like how this thing has different sound/tone from the usual metal cliche sounds and provides some nice quality for a pretty low price. I own a Peavey studiopro, a crap Boss MT-2 which I hardly use anymore and a Jackson RR24. I have been playing a bit less than 2 years and I can tell this is a great step up amp and entry level to tube amps. If this was stolen or lost I would get so pissed I would find that guy in a matter of seconds and kill him, piss on his grave, kill him in his after life and probably rape his soul in the process. I love the crunching distortion and the great sustain and quality sound. My favorite is definetly the Red gain for chunky rhytms and green for soloing. I really can't hate this amp but keep in mind I am not a long experience veteran player but this is probably the nicest amp I have played to this point. I compared this to Peavey windsor which was my first choice. I would have gotten a EQ or OD pedal to go with that amp but come on 1 channel, that totally blows! I need a Clean channel to go with a raw amp. The Price was J50 higher but I will gladly pay that for a metal tone ready-made in the OD channel than spend a good 150 on a EQ/OD for a one channel amplifier. I wish it had a stereo output but apart from that I can't complain, great amp. Has absolutely the potential for metalheads and has the voicing too which I've seen many have said it doesn't have. Keep in mind what music I play and the thing I think it's a very good amp to that! Don't doubt to buy this if you are considering it. A additional thing. Randalls customer support answers quickly but the instruction manual to this amp was a sick sarcastic joke, I mean wtf like 2 pages or something. It has about 1 page of useful information and that is the explanation to each knob and button on it! GOD! It would have been more informing to write "Thank you for buying Randall. You're on your own now!" In the manual than that shit. -1 points for that Randall makes such a nice product without a proper instruction manual. Furthermore I've heard the guys working for Randall are complete tosses and don't know what the hell they are talking about. Think about that too. Still this amp is worth a clear 9 for outstanding quality and features.

I can depend on this thing for life but I would want to have a tube combo/another head as backup to a gig because in this twisted world everything is possible. It has not broken down yet but if you don't play with this for a week or two then it will need a good warming up before some real playing to ensure maximum shredding pleasure. I wont put more than 9 here because I haven't owned this one even half year yet.

tenaciousjp
    could i get a good shred tone out of this amp,i listen to alot of satch and vai,something in between there tones thats what im looking for could i get that with this amp?
    Run.to.the.hill
    phenom1991
    darrenjables
    Run.to.the.hill wrote: "I'm playing it through a Japanese Tokai Love Rock guitar (check these out, far superior sound wise to the 3 Gibson LP's I've owned)" You are either on drugs, bought an Epiphone or was sold a fake, because 'Tokai Dove Cock' doesnt come close to a proper Les Paul.
    Normally I don't comment on these reviews, but if they don't come close to a Les Paul, when why did Gibson bring them to court?
    phenom1991 wrote: He said soundwise. The Tokai's ive tried has sounded pretty nice. As for 3 gibson LP's...how do you know it wasn't Gibson studio? Those ****ers suck pretty badly i tell you...id rather have a tokai which is about the same price.
    Same here. Studios seem very stripped down to me :\ And this Randall kicks ass
    fr33t0m
    The RH50T sounded pretty good (better than the Bugera 6262 I had), but I received two lemons in a row when I bought them at a big music store. Ended up getting a Peavey 6505+ for just a little more and the tone blows the Randall and Bugera away.
    phenom1991
    This amp still kicking, now being slaved by a 7 string and Wah,Overdrive and EQ peda (IN FX LOOP). Changed tubes to JJ EL34s and it sounds awesome. Still have the behringer cab, it's not the best sounding but it does hold up still.
    Lespagnol3105
    Hey, I'm thinking of buying my first tube amp half stack. Do you think this one would be a good bet?