RT50C review by Randall

• Users' score: 9 (1 vote)
Randall: RT50C

Purchased from: AMS

The sound this amplifier create is absolutely amazing. Hey can go from simple jazz clean tones to high gain metal shredding. Being a tube amp there is always going to be excessive noise when around other electronic devices and also it the ground sucks. In high gain mode I don't use alot of pregain but alot of postgain to make the 6l6 tubes sing. And they can efing scream. Being very loud I haven't tested the headroom quite yet but I am planning to sale the Celestion Seventy 80 and install an Eminence Tonker. The tonal capabilities aren't as versatile as a modeling amp of course but the eq can drastically change the sound.

My very first impression was how heavy it was then how well it not only sounds but looks like a metal or hard rock amp with the expanded steel speaker cover. Very very well built with an open back but a screen screwed in place to protect the power tubes and anyone who likes to touch things that they don't know tube amps can KILL. Do not work on this yourself unless your either being supervised or know what your doing. I work with tube amps with one hand behind my back so I wont ground myself to the case. The bias for the 6l6s is .050 volts and el34s are .035 volts easily changed with a small flathead screwdriver and a dvom. Digital volt ohm meter. Weight is 50 lbs. Amazing tube amplifier for solid state pricing. Video from YouTube:

YouTube preview picture

Thus far it is 100% reliable. Turn on the power and wait about 30 seconds for the tubes to fire up then plug in the guitar which I use Schecters and ESPs with EMGs exclusively and this amp can take all their output and more. I have a DigiTech RP300 connected to the input using the left out and into the effects loop with the right output so if wanted the effects can bypass the 4 12ax7s. I've had it about 3 months and haven't moved it except to spin it so I can't give a rating there but reliability gets a 10.

This Randall tube amp is the king of metal and hard rock when it comes to a combo. Starting front to back. Front starts with 2 channels clean and overdrive the clean has a tight or loose switch both have pregain controls a 3 band eq and an independent volume. The spring reverb and master volume are independent. It comes with a three button footswitch which allows control of the channels bypass the reverb or bypass the built in effects loop built in that is applied after the preamp so the effects can bypass the preamp and get the full effect of the effect. On the back there is a fuse that can be easily changed for different countries output bias adjustment for the 2 6l6 power tubes so they can be safely switched for el34. Now one of my favorite parts. Speaker outs both 4 ohm and 8 ohm for a cab. 50 watts af tube power is equal to about 120 solid state watts. The preamp tubes are 4 12ax7s.

hubbisse
    I have seen so many people and even Randall themselves saying there are only 4 preamp tubes and they are all 12ax7. This cannot be further from the truth. I recently installed all new high quality Super T tubes and noticed there are 5 yes 5 preamp tubes. looking at the back of the amp from left to right there is a 12aT7 preamp tube and then the 4 12ax7's. Knowing that 12ax7's have higher headroom I changed out the aT7 for all 12ax7's. You wouldn't believe the extra output you get and more headroom and most importantly simply a better sound. So next time you go to buy an amplifier make sure you do your homework because I got into it expecting 4 12ax7's and there was 4 and the 12at7 at the beginning of the preamp circuit and I only had 4 12ax7s. So I first did some research and found the 12ax7s have higher headroom and simply work better. So as I said when replacing parts do your research first. Its always best to know what your going to be working with and what parts you will actually need.