RX120DHS review by Randall

Randall: RX120DHS

Purchased from: Matt's Music

I currently own a Schecter 006 Deluxe, a Washburn MG-20 and a BC Rich Warlock, all of these guitars are less than $600 but all play fairly well. I have played the Schecter and Washburn on this amp and they both sounded far superior on this amp than the Line 6 which I was previously using. I have not yet used this amp in a jam setting so I have yet to see how amazing this amp is along with drums, another guitarist, a bassist and a vocalist, and at insane volume.

I mainly play death metal, heavy metal, screamo, punk and alternative rock along with other types of music and this amp seems that with a little tweaking and use of my Line 6 PODXT Live multi effect pedal I could easily acheive anything with this beast. I have only been playing for about 2 and a half years but I have progressed very far within these 2 years and personally I think I am very ready for this amp. So far I love this amp for the amazing sound of the distortion which gives me that edge which I always loved from Pantera, and I also love the tones I get out of playing the crisp clean setting. I was playing Patterns In The Ivy by Opeth on this earlier and it sounded amazing. So far I have been able to compare this to the Line 6 Spider II 212, and 2 different Marshall half stacks (can't remember the exact names of the two) and I personally think that this amp is far superior to any of the amps I have played for my personal style of music. The only thing I wish it had was a built in cup holder for the numerous alcoholic beverages and the numerous 2L water bottles I will need around when I start to shred on this amp!

The amp of course has never broken down so I am not the best person to ask when it comes to reliability, but from the build of this amp it seems very versatile, and I have only heard good things about the reliability of Randall products so I would assume the same for this one.

This is an almost brand new half-stack that I picked up today right off of display after playing some Pantera and Metallica on it for approximately 2 minutes. I instantly fell in love with the sound that this amp produced. Keep in mind, my previous amp was a Line 6 Spider II 212 which did have good sound, but nothing compared to the power of Randall's RX120D header on a 4 speaker Randall cab. This amp packs an insane punch, if you cram this in your jam space, you are gonna only need to crank'er up to volume 2 to blow away everyone in the room. There are 2 main channels, clean and overdrive with 4 settings on clean (level [volume], treble, mid, bass) and then 6 on overdrive (gain, treble, mid, bass, contour (somewhat of a tone knob), and volume). The clean setting is extremely crisp and nice for anything you would want to play with a clean setting, and the distortion is extremly crunchy and heavy for anyone Who loves metal, but you can also easily play any other style of rock by just turning down the gain, perfect for the music I play. Finally, there is an effect setting which you can toggle on and off. There are 2 knobs, one for the level of the effect and one to change effects. You can't mix effects but the simple little tremolo or delay that you wanna add really doesn't sound bad for a built in effect.

flesh fries
    zerodeck wrote: Randall? a rip off from Marshall?? but it could be a good amp, never played one of those
    no way man....all the randalls ive played have sounded much nicer than any marshall ive played
    -l-Trendkiller-
    This amp kicks so much ass. I have the Dean Dime O Flame and you dont even need a distortion pedal. The natrual distortion is top notch. to be honest, I hate marshall. I am a dimebag fan, but just because i am doesnt mean i go with everything that he used. i just think that the randall is alot better then a marshall, plus the price is outstanding
    NiCk_FuRy
    could you kids please behave? seems you are talking about soccer clubs.. Yeah, mine's better because yours sucks!!! duhhh!!! Some marshall are great, some are not and this goes for randall also. talk about what you know and please grow up and stop using this to talk shit!
    mike.p1991
    I'd be happy to own a Marshall amp n i'd be happy to own a Randall amp. There is NO WAY n i mean NO WAY you could say that one of them brands suck! n if you do then your a god damn idiot hu really does know jack sh*t !!!!!
    eklipt
    www.musiciansfriend.com. I always check prices through this site. $599.00 if you buy it here andrex1212.. save yourself a hundred dollars.
    Shredboy
    Jim Page wrote: Oh my God... Is that dude serious about Marshall being worse than Randall?? Jesus... Marshall has one of the best tube amps ever! I own a TSL 602, and JCM 800 head ( old one ) with a half stack cab... Believe me, that's the tone you can't beat! Randall has great amps, but not close to Gibson... If some of you are Dime fans, than you will surelly dig the randall cause' of him, but don't let that deceive you.. Buy the amp which sounds good... Engl has great amps, and I recommend them, my friend has got one! but hey, if you're for that classic tone, try out a Marshall.. cheers dudes!
    classic tone? **** classic tone classic tone from a marshall is shite compared to the metal tone of a randall amp... and if ur playin metal u dnt need classic tone or vintage tone...
    vote-claypool
    i have this amp and the only two things i can find bad about it is that once you turn the bass up past like....2 its overbearing and the delay isnt adjustable and the default speed of the delay isnt good for anything ive found
    Jim Page
    MikeHampton10
    I have been playing this amp for a year and a half now and it is, by far, worth the price. Great sound, great quality - you can't go wrong with this amp!
    senorpepe
    you clearly know NOTHING about gear man
    andrex1212
    Hey Vos, how much are you getting your Randall for? Just curious as to see what kind of deal I got here, when I saw a Randall half stack for 699.99 I almost creamed myself because of how insane I have heard these amps are.
    scarfacesuit
    randalls have been around for quite a while... i doubt they ripped off marshall at all...
    Vos