RX120RHS review by Randall

Randall: RX120RHS

Purchased from: GUitar Center

I mostly use this with my 1989 Fender American Deluxe Strat HOT Rodded with DiMarzio Tone Zone, Chopper, and Air Norton Rail Humbuckers. The amp can get close to My tone but not close enough so I solely use the clean channel and rely on my pedal board for distortion and effects. The amp is not noisy AT all. The amp pretty much has an adjustable gain channel and then the clean channel. The clean channel doesn't distort at high volumes. And the distortion can be pretty menacing if you want the Nu-Metal scooped mids tone (I don't but hey it has its place). The only effect it has is reverb. Each Channel has a "level" and then there's the master volume which is interesting cause if you lower the level knob and bump up the master it makes the tone sound heavier but I 12 o'clock the level regardless.

I love Randy Rhoads, EVH, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Steve Vai, all of those guys. I had a specific sound. Fairly distorted but not too trebly, nice tight low end. And I can get something close to that with the amp but agiain I use my pedalboard. But before I had my board I just used the footswitch and it did its job fine! So I guess Its a decent match. I've been playing 3 years and as far as half stacks this is all I own. I don't regret buying it and I have no questions left unanswered. If it were stolen I might try demoing a Peavey 5150 tube amp just to see how the tube amps sound but I'd probably go right back to my Randall. The thing is SOO chunky and full and bassy. I love the tone I get out of it, I tried a Marshall halfstack instead and felt I was gna have blood from my ears do to the immense treble and bite. I don't hate anything about it.

I absolutely depend on this amp. To be honest I don't have a backup so if this thing broke down I would be in big trouble now wouldn't I? But no it seems to be very durable, I've dropped the head about 2 feet from the ground and it was fine, and I've lugged the thing around my house and in my truck to and from rehearsals and gigs and its a beast. I have given it some scratches and such but no its pretty crazy. On the cabinet there is the Randall logo and half of that logo broke so I had to screw it back on with a thicker screw, but you can't tell. Aside from that I love this thing. Although I can't say its got perfect tone. I need my pedals for that kind thing.

So, I'm not sure when this solid state beast was made. The amp is versatile enough I suppose. I play in a Rock/Pop/RnB fusion band. We have done stuff from Aerosmith, and Van Halen, to Linkin Park, to Cee Lo Green and Michael Jackson. The amp has two channels. It came with a foot switch which I used before I got my pedal board and all of its pedals. The switch even had an on and off for the reverb which was actually a big help. It also has the effects loop which I've never used and the headphone jack. To be honest I mostly use it on its clean channel and use my pedal Board for everything else.