V2 review by Randall

Randall: V2

Price paid: C$ 950

Purchased from: eBay

My guitar is nothing special. Just a Jackson JS30RR with an EMG 81 in the bridge. It gets the job done. Sounds great nevertheless. I play many different styles of metal and it always performs the way I want it to. I've never had a problem with finding the right tone. This amplifier is quite noisy at loud volumes, even with a newly wired building, much worse when there are stage lights and bad/old wiring in the venue or house but easily tameable with a noise suppressor. It's quite versatile when it comes to tone, but keep in mind that this is an amplifier built for playing Metal or Hard rock. You won't be getting the best jazzy or blues tones out of this. Clean channel leaves a bit to be desired but EQ and effects fix that problem. Clean channel breaks up at higher volumes. The distortion is what makes this amp. I have yet to find the same thick punishing tone in anything else. Truly surprised by the wall of sound this thing pushes. Thick bottom end, warm mids and searing treble. Truly a high-gain monster. Keep in mind I am reviewing this with no pedals or fancy-dancy stuff. Guitar to amplifier out to cab. Nothing else. No tube screamer or boosts or anything. She stands up on her own. Trust me. Rated 10 just because the distortion makes up for what is lacking 10 times over.

Overall, I have been blown away by this amp. Before I bought it, I heard some sound clips from someone's website and I almost bought a different amp becuase the sound clips were terrible. The tone was horrible. But I went out on a limb and bought it anyways thinking it's gotta be good if it's a signature head. Well, I underestimated this thing. It's lived up to it's expectations 10 times over. I have been playing for almost 7 years and never have I come across something this awesome. The only thing I wish I would have asked for from the seller was the cable for the footswitch. There are no stores around my area that carry that certain type of cable. I'm stuck without a footswitch 'til I get one. If it were stolen, I would be truly devastated and begin the long haul of saving up money to get it again. I compared it to many other products. Mesas, Marshalls, Other Randalls, a Rivera, Peaveys and a Diezel. It beat everything except for the Diezel but that thing is so damn expensive I wonder how they sell any. I'm more than happy with what I have though. Doesn't get much better than this. I wish it had reverb. That's all.

Seeing as this amplifier is a hybrid, there is much less work needed to be done to maintain this thing. I would easily gig without a backup if I had to but no matter what, I will always have a backup. Even the best stuff can malfunction. Keep that in mind. It has never broken down. When I turn it on, it's always ready to go. The only problem I've had so far is the standby Switch. The contact is not working properly which means I have to Switch it a few times to get it into standby. It always comes out of standby on the first Switch though. Easy/cheap fix. Not a problem at all.

The amp was basically Brand New when I bought it. The guy had it for 2 weeks and returned it because it wasn't what he was looking for. This amp is very versatile when it comes to dialing in your tone. Very easy to use. It has 3 Channels. 1 Clean (Gain/level), 1 SolidState 'Overdrive'(Gain/Level/Bass-Mid-Treble/Presence) and the famous 'Ninja O.D' channel. (Attack switch/Gain/Bright switch/Bass-Mid-Treble/level). It has a 6-Band graphic EQ and 3 Master controls.(Master volume/Density/Presence)Comes with a 5-Button footswitch connected with a 7-Pin DIN cable. Back Panel: Power Consumption: 840W Footswitch/Midi: In, Thru Speaker Outputs x2: 400w at 2ohms, 220 at 4ohms. Minimum 2ohm load. Slave: Output jack, Level. Direct Recording/Mix Output: XLR connection. Effects loop: Return jack + level knob. Send jack + level knob. Loop Type selector: Series(out), Parallel(in). This amplifier is classified as 'Hybrid' type. Meaning it is half tube, half solid state. The pre-amp has 4 tubes and the power section is completely solid state. The only thing it is lacking is some kind of reverb. This amp runs dry, meaning that there are no effects built in at all. I usually run it at its 220w setting when playing in my room so I can push the tubes and have it's great tone without killing anyone's ears. But when it comes to full band jams or Live performances, I Switch it to it's 400w, 4ohm setting for that extra couple watts.

CptRevell
    On my Ampeg you can run direct into stuff through the line out, not sure on this amp. I'm sure it has something similar on this amp.
    CptRevell
    shredrick
    I have the V-2 and A b-52 at-100 I put the V-2 in the closet I prefer the B-52 it smokes the v-2
    $k!llz
    SamuraiLP
    $k!llz wrote: CptRevell wrote: The head itself doesn't have a speaker, and as such will make no sound without running into something (computer, cab., recorder, etc.) o wow sure expencive for somethink that doesnt make noise. how much does a good canbinet cost?
    Seriously? XD Go to your local friggin music store and find out If you think thats expensive, randall also has a bullshit KH head thats like 10,000 dollars. See, the head it self models your sound and tone, even combo amps (which of course I assume you play) have a head, its just set into the cab. This is actually a good deal, probably saving cash being a hybrid, its probably a good amp for those that need thick tight distortion but little tonal versatility, since the clean tone isnt all too amazing.