V2XM Review

manufacturer: Randall date: 08/04/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Randall: V2XM
Randall RX Series V2XM 30W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp The 40-watt V2XM has 2 channels with a 3-band graphic for dialing in precise rock and metal tone. Built with a 12" Jaguar speaker this high gain combo is big and loud enough to handle almost any situation.
 8.8
 7.1
 2,849
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
V2XM Reviewed by: 742627000017, on august 04, 2008

Features: The first thought that comes in mind after playng this amplifier: "the weirdest amp I have ever heard, I like it". V2XM is an ideal practice or home amp for a Jimi Hendrix fan. It has 2 channels, boost function on the overdrive channel, 3 EQ controls, 3 band graphic EQ, 30 wats, solid state and a 12" Celestion Rocket 50 speaker. The best part of this amp is that you get two kinds of EQ so you can fully control your sound. Although I wouldn't use it for playng with a drummer, it's more of a home amp. // 9

Sound: When I turned this amp on for the first time and played a chord, I started looking if the overdrive knob is turned on, and it wasn't. The clean channel of this amp sounds just like a cranked tube amp. It can get the exact Hendrix sound for songs like Little Wing or Castles made of sand. I used this amp with a cheap stratocaster copy. I used both humbucker and single coils and they sounded great. With humbucker you get a good chuging rock tone, single coils give a naturaly overdriven sound. There are two kinds of EQ so you can get any sounds that you want. The overdrive channel isnt the best, I wouldn't use it, it just doesnt't sound powerful enough for Randall. It's a clean players amplifier. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The amp is built sturdy. It isn't heavy, ideal for alone practicing but not good enough for practicing with a drummer or a gig. I couldnt say much a bout the durability, I think that if you would take care of the amp, it would last long. I wouldn't depend on this without a backup, it's just a practice amp. // 8

Overall Impression: I play more distorted music: Nirvana, Slipknot, Cannibal Corpse but also some lighter stuff RHCP, Jimi Hendrix. It can get a good clean channel for some heavier music and some beautiful sounds for Funk of Blues but for heavier stuff, you would need a distortion pedal. As I said earlier the amp can get exact sound like Axis Bold as Love, so if you're looking for a present to a Jimi fan, get this amp. // 9

Comments