Warhead Combo review by Randall

Randall: Warhead Combo

Purchased from: Dean forum member

Okay, I've got a Dean ML with a high output Dimebucker, and I play mostly metal like Pantera. If you're looking for metal tone with this, you'll get it very quick. No, it doesn't have that high mid, fuzzy Slayer tone to it, it's got a more low end, ball punching crush to it. Now, I'm not saying you couldn't get high gain with it, but it's used best with EQ's and boosters (Dimebag style, anyone). Noise? Not an issue at all. One time I got this loud as hell high pitched scream from it, but because I was using the wrong adapter to my Jimi Hendrix pedal. Yup, I play Hendrix on this thing. Versatility Rocks! At high volume, with the right settings on the clean channel, you can get a distorted AC/DC tone. But, make the eq a lil more subtle, and you'll get perfect shimmery tone with, I'll admit it, a little break up. Oh well. What can ya do. Well I'll tell you one thing you can do. Put on just the right amount of chorus with the built in effects and you'll be in old school clean heaven. Even a Metallica-esque clean style, what with the chorus and all. The distortion kicks your ass! Seriously, with the right EQ, again, you can get Vulgar tone from pantera. Sabbath tone is verrry easily achieved. If you tune down to D or C# the gain will get a lot heavier and just deeper and more crush. Trust me on this one, and you'll be golden.

A good style of music for this amp? Metal, hard rock, hell, even soft rock to jazz blues (or blues jazz) stuff if you are really versitle like I am. I've got a Marshall mini stack, and this smokes it! I thought my mini had good tone (my guitar playing uncle mistook it for tube) but when I got this my Marshall sounded fuzzy, bassy, and just overall suckage. If I lost it, it would be hard as hell to find another one. To compensate. I'd probably get one of the newer Randalls, because it's the next best thing. I love everything on this amp. Only thing I hate? The endless tone possibilities! Days of tweaking will get you to tone heaven, believe me. Only thing I wish it had was a closed back for more air flowing through the front end. That's about it!

Built like a tank! trust me, at 60lbs, it's one helluva tough cookie. Don't worry, though. It's got it's own wheels for gigging. Mine has never broke down. Why would it?

This amp is pretty hard to come by these days, but if you docome by one, you're lucky. Of course, this amp is mainly for metal lovin' gainheads, but it's got a real ballsy classic rock tone too. The clean channel can get anywhere from Pantera's Floods to Dire Straight's Sultans of Swing. It has two channels, one clean, one dirty, an effects loop which is always on, and 16 built in effects. It comes with a footpedal for channel switching and built in effects on/off. the combo has 150 watts of friggin ballsy power, so be sure to crank that mutha when you can. But, it is solid state, so don't think putting the master on 2 or 3 is going to majorly affect the overall tone. The gain channel has the usual: high, mid, mid level, low, level, and gain. The clean channel has high, mid, low, level, and presence. Now, the effects (not to be mistaken for effects loop). These aren't your regular forget-about-em built in presets. There's 16 of them, including chorus, delay, and flanger. There's also a knob for how loud you want the effect to be. Lastly, we've got a verrrry touchy onboard EQ with 9 bands. I have to say, if you are disappointed with the metal tone of this amp (maybe not enough gain), try moving the EQ around. Works wonders for me.