Warhead Combo review by Randall

Randall: Warhead Combo

Purchased from: Guitar Center (used)

The tone and overall sound of this thing is whatever you make it. The combination of tone knobs plus the 9 band EQ lets you create just about any sound you like. It is definitely biased toward metal however. You'll have a hard time getting a fat warm blues tone from it, but that's not what it was designed for. It IS purpose built. I mainly play a Jackson DKMG with EMG 81/85 and found my sweetspot with the gain on 6 - 6.5 without the boost knob pulled. I could see maybe using more gain on a guitar with weaker pickups or if you just love the metal buzzsaw sound. I hooked up a Laney 412 cabinet to it and it's obnoxiously powerful with channel level on 4 and master level on 3. It's insane! I can't imagine ever needing more power or volume than this thing puts out.

Words don't do this beast justice. It's absolutely insane. If you play hard rock/metal, you can't go wrong here. My usual rig is a rack setup. ADA MP-1, DigiTech TSR-12, Alesis 3630 and a Crate solid state power amp. All Midi controlled with the ADA midi controller. This has been my setup(more or less) for ~15 years. I'm seriously considering sidelining the rack and using the Warhead and my Laney 412. Simple. I consider myself lucky to have stumbled across this monster. It will be part of my rig forever.

After purchasing this, I completely disassembled and cleaned it, and the construction appears pretty beefy. I've always like steel grilles, which this has. It also has high quality spring loaded recessed side handles. It's a quality piece. It's still fairly new to me, so I can't give a true representation of long term reliability and durability.

2 12" Celestion Vintage 30s, 150 watts Solid State. 2 channels, distortion and clean. Distortion channel has a boost for ridiculous amounts of distortion if you so desire. 9 band EQ and typical tone controls. Bass mid treble on both channels with presence on the clean and a midsweep on the dirty side. Individual level control for each channel and a master level. It has 16 non-configurable "Dime" preset effects. From reverb to delay to flange to chorus. It uses a single effect level control for wet/dry mix on the effects.

krustshred
    This amp is amazing. Btw mine doesn't have to warm up and yes it has reverberated as well as chorus delay and flanger
    duzit89
    HELLSHREDD wrote: solid state sucks
    tell that to dimebag before he joined krank
    chewy11
    Is it normal for the Warhead 2X12 combo amp to take a few minutes to warm up? I turn it on and I don't get any sound for about 2-4minutes? Normal? Please help me..... Thanks - Jason in NY