WH40 Review

manufacturer: Randall date: 01/22/2007 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

This amp was built for metal. 2 channels, clean and overdrive, both with level controls.
 6.4
 3.7
 1,304
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
WH40 Reviewed by: g1asseye, on january 22, 2007

Features: To start, this amp is not versatile. But that can be forgiven as it was never manufactured with versatility in mind. This amp was built for metal. 2 channels, clean and overdrive, both with level controls (you would hope so wouldn't you). The overdrive channel features an "overdrive boost" button which I feel is slightly like the famous "my amp goes up to 11" scenario as this could have been integrated into the knob. It has one effect which is reverb. As I do not gig, as my band has only formed recently, and when we rehearse we hire a room at a studio, the 40 watts is plenty enough power for bedroom practice. I am pretty sure this amp usually comes with a fotswitch, although I didn't get one with mine and I am disappointed, this is the only real feature I could say that I really miss with this amp. Also both channels work on one EQ and it would be nice to have an EQ per channel. This amp is fully solid state with a 12 inch speaker. A great feature is also the camoflage finish. // 8

Sound: I play a Dean ML 79 with the original Dean humbuckers. I play mostly metal (Pantera, Metallica etc.) and it is perfectly suited to this style, as this is the style for which it was designed. It is generally "buzz-free" but does make a slight hiss when cranked up loud. Pinch harmonics sound extremely well through this amp, especially when treble is set high. Depending on how you set up this amp, it sounds a lot like either Pantera or Metallica (as a generalisation Metallica with more mids, Pantera with less). The distortion is brutal on this amp, as with most Randall amplifiers if not all, especially as it is marketed as a dimebag signature amp (its almost like a mini warhead notice the "WH" in the name). // 10

Reliability & Durability: I could depend on this amp for most occasions. I obviously wouldn't gig with a 40 watt combo but it is pretty durable and strongly made. The metal cage rather than a fabric front is also an advantage as it cannot be ripped/torn. It has never broken down and I do not expect it to any time soon as a solid state amp generally doesn't. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal and any Randall is perfect for this as this is clearly what their amps are aimed at. I also own a Dean ML 79 as I mentioned earlier, a strat copy and some effects. When I was in the shop buying this product, I wish I had asked about the footswitch as I think it would make the playing experience with this amp just that much better. If it were stolen or lost I wouldn't buy the same again but I would certainly buu another Randall as they have proven to me that for metal, their amplifiers do the job perfectly. I love the crushing distortion but I hate not having a footswitch to turn it on and off (as I have mentioned). I also tried Roland's "Cube" series of amplifiers and Line 6's "Spider II" series of amplifiers in the run up to buying this product. These amps were admittedly more versatile but I was looking for an amp to play metal so versatility was not an essential feature, and this amp played better metal than either of the other two mentioned. I cannot stress how much I wish had the footswitch to go with this amp as it would help me enormously for recording. // 9

Comments