RG-20 review by Raven

Raven: RG-20

I am using both my 2006 Fender Strat and my 2009 Epiphone Les Paul Studio with this combo, and for a practice amp it's not that bad. It does take a while to adjust it properly to your personal settings because IMO, the treble and the mids are very bright, while it's kind of hard to distinguish the difference between the reverb and the delay. The distortion on this is good if you're a blues player but if you're into Metal, forget it. It is however, very pedal friendly and very loud. This would be good for a small club gig or for band practice.

I play both 80's hair metal & classic rock and if I'm using a effects unit or some type of distortion pedal then this amp will do the job. But on it's own, for my kind of music, I don't think so. It seems to be more of a blues amp IMO. To it's credit it is wicked LOUD for a 20 watt combo and very durable. Seeing as I'm only using it for a practice combo, I feel like I got my money's worth. I've have played through worse in the past, so I can't really complain. Raven is a relatively new company so I'm willing to give them a chance even if they're owned by Guitar Center.

This seems like it's built like a tank. The front of it has a Black Metal Grille covering the front speaker, so I don't think you'll have to worry about anything happening to that. It weighs around 30 lbs and seems to be very well made. I don't see anything happening to this at all. It looks like it'll last me a while!

I'm assuming that mine was most recently made in 2008 or 2009. I just ordered it online from Guitar Cente's website for the price of $99.99. It has 2 channels, clean and distorted and features the following controls, volume for the lead channel, gain, volume for the rhythm channel, Bass, Mid, Treble, Reverb/Delay button, Effects level, Built in tuner, input, line in, headphone jack and power switch. It's rated at a very LOUD 20 watts and has a 12" Raven speaker.

ravenrage07
    gera_thrash666 wrote: recommended for thrashers?
    Not really, I would go with a peavey bandit 112 or something else. Maybe a marshall mg or something. This amps distortion isnt enough for me.
    rhcp13
    thats why you buy a pedal to fit your distortion or effects needs