RG-20 review by Raven

Raven: RG-20

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I'm playing an Epiphone SG Special with the stock pickups, and I play heavy metal and hard rock. Overall, this amp has a nice, clear tone to it. The rhythm channel is very clear, and the lead channel has a nice distortion. I prefer having a cleaner, more defined distortion, but it isn't too bad. The rhythm channel takes pedals very well; distortions will not lose any of the heavy bass or screaming highs, and clean effects, like phaser and chorus, sound beautiful. The amp always has a very quiet hiss, and gives off a lot of noise when on the lead channel with the gain up, but it never gets in the way of me, since I play with distortion pedals. I'm not sure if the clean channel distorts at high levels, though. Anyways, there's quite a few sounds you can get with this amp. Not as much as a digital modeling amp, but enough if you have some pedals.

For heavy metal and hard rock, this thing is perfect. I've been playing for about 2 1/2 years, and I use it a lot with my Zoom G1X and a few various other pedals. If something happened to this amp, I'd probably either buy this again or possibly try out a Peavy Vypyr 15. I love how it sounds for the price, but I think the tuner needs a little work. My last amp was a Line 6 Spider III 15, and this sounds much better. Honestly, there's not much else I could ask for, except maybe a different distortion.

I'd probably use this on a gig without a backup. It hasn't broken for me. I'm not a person you should ask about the durability, though; I don't play live, just at home and recording. I haven't played in a dirty bar and gotten beer in my amp, I've just played in a somewhat dusty room and sneezed nearby.

This amp has all the basics. There are two channels, the Lead and Rhythm channels, which are pretty much distortion and clean channels. Each channel has a volume knob, and Lead channel has a gain knob. The channels are changed with There's also a 3-band EQ, reverb/delay effects, a line in jack, a headphone jack, and a built-in chromatic tuner. I play metal and hard rock, and I love this amp. I use it at home, both for recording and just practicing, and it's powerful enough for me. I don't use the tuner much, though, since the tuner seems a bit slow and maybe a bit off. There's not much else I could ask for at this price range.

cal88005
    For thrashing and other metal, the distortion channel on this amp doesn't cut it, but even with my cheap Danelectro Fab Metal pedal it sound pretty sick just put it on the clean channel crank the gain on your pedal and you will get some sickness blazing out of this amp! I love mine!