RG-20 review by Raven

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Raven: RG-20

Purchased from: a friend

I use my Ibanez RG120 and Squier Strat with this amp. It has a little bit of high end ice-pick-syndrome, especially at high volumes. It's pretty quiet and takes effects fairly well. It can only make 2 sounds, clean and sorta crunch. It's not that heavy. I haven't noticed any clean channel clipping.

I play rock and metal, and it's good for the rock. I've been playing for 6b years, and while this amp is good, it doesn't hold a candle to my B-52. If this amp were stolen I'd buy something else just because it doesn't have the exact tone I'm looking for. I like the built in delay, but not so much the overdrive. I wish it had a footswitch.

It's solid state amp, it'll go through hell and back and have no problems. I've played small gigs and the former owner has gigged with it just fine. I have no doubts about the durability of this amp. I mean, I've dropped it, stood on it, and kicked it and there aren't even any dings in the tolex.

This amp isn't really versatile, but it isn't bad. It has 2 channels, changeable only by the button on the front panel. I would like this amp to be a little louder, just because it barely holds up to drums without serious feedback. It has a fairly good AC/DC type crunch and a good clean tone. I wish it had separate EQ per channel, because the EQs to make the clean sound good don't work for the dirty channel. It has built in digital reverb and delay. I practice with this amp (really I make my other guitarist practice with this amp) but for that it isn't bad. It's a decent little solid state amp for the price.

rv_phoenix
    Look doesn't play. And, if the amp is not good for thrashing and heavy metal, as stated above, it means it's good for nothing, because, except for extreme metal, SS amps might only be useful when practising or (if you're short on budget) rehearsing. And that's it. Granting a 9,2 to this mediocre product means 1) the reviewer is an amateur, and 2) we should grant to a HiWatt Custom Combo a 289 rating. Which is absurd.
    MaggaraMarine
    rhcp13 wrote: thats why you buy a pedal to fit your distortion or effects needs
    No! The amp must sound good BEFORE using effects because why would you buy a medicore amp and then invest to pedals when you could buy a good amp and no pedals for the same price? If the amp already has a good sound you don't need distortion pedals for example. It's the same as if you only buy your guitar for looks and then say that you can change pickups. Because you could get a better sounding (or better feeling) guitar with stock equipment. Of course if the guitar feels great... And of course if the amp has a great clean channel then you could buy some stompboxes. But that's why you should always try the product before buying it. If you are not impressed, don't buy, it's simple!