RG200 review by Raven

Raven: RG200

I have a Fender HSS Stratocaster, and you tend to use the humbucker equipped with it. Honestly, it's not a metal amp in terms of it's lead channel. However, it sounds crystal clear with pedals, and the lead isnt really a dissapointment: You can get distortions almost identical to that of Aerosmith, Guns 'N' Roses, and even Zakk Wylde. The thing is, it's not a true distortion, more of a heavy overdrive (making it a lot like the Boss Super Overdrive or Overdrive Distortion). The Rhythm (clean) channel is amazingly clear, and with any brand of pedal (I prefer Boss), you can get relatively any sound you want. Due to the high wattage, when the Rhyhtm channel is turned all the way up, you get a very slight overdriven tone, but I don't recommend it: an amp like this may be too loud at the highest level. Honestly, I don't go past midway on either channel. Still, amazing sound!

As I said above, I tend to play harder rock to metal, but will sometimes wander into the Alternative genre. The clear tones and pedal compatability make it a very good match for my style. I've been playing going on four years now, and own a Fender HSS Strat (standard), and montaya classical guitar, numerous pedals, and a berhinger PA System (w/ Shure Mic). If it got stolen or broken, I would get one in a heart beat (or move up to the Half Stack:D:D:D). The one thing I wish would change would be that it included a footswitch, because I had to go out and get a Boss FS-F6 for it. Honestly, it was this or a Marshall, and I'm sorry Slash and all those other people that use Marshall, but Raven's got you all beat!

Take a look at a picture of this amp. Immediately you can tell it's a monster! The whole thing is lined with Metal. Even the grill, normally made of fabric, is a metal grate! I dropped this thing down two flights of stairs with no issue. It still works great! The thing has never given me shit. The only issue I can think of is a slight humming, cause by the immense amount of power it needs, but even that can be and has been fixed with certain products to limit the power intake (I got something called a Hum X). I would and have gone to a gig with just this amp. No backup.

I don't know what year the amp was made in, but I'm pretty sure that it was made pretty recently, at least within the last two years. I tend to play hard rock to metal music, and the amp works for me. It sounds beautiful with pedals and has great amp distortion, too. It has two chanels: lead (w/ distortion) and Rhythm (w/o distortion), as well as 16 internal digital effects and dual effects (two effects at a time). With the help of any dual footswitch (the FS-F6 by Boss works best in my opinion) you can Switch between channels and turn the effects on and off. It also has an effects loop, and a line out/headphones jack. I use this amp for everything from gigs to practice to recording. This solid state amp has plenty of power for me, with it's dual speakers and 200 watt power.

Slow_N_Low
    I have this amp and I play a Schecter Omen 6 and Schecter Sunset Deluxe that I play through a Digitech Death Metal distortion pedal. I guess my only gripe is with this setup when I drop tune it can sound real boomy when playing low chords.
    Mr.LeadGuitar
    MetaMegaMagic wrote: These are pretty much the only amps that aren't overpriced that work with pedals, right?
    Yup. and yeah, it's really punchy with lower stuff.
    ExplorerX
    snaggleyoda
    Have this amp. Lead channel is too distorted, so I just run my guitars through a DigiTech gnx3 on the rythem channel & it sounds fine. Volume adjustment is real touchy, but I can get about any sound I want from the floorboard. For what I paid I have no complaints.
    Mr.LeadGuitar
    ExplorerX wrote: I have this amp and also the RG412 speaker cabinet. It really is a great combo. Especially for the price. I only expect bigger and better things from Raven in the future.
    I hope they come out with a tube amp
    heavymetalkult
    rockgod761
    heavymetalkult wrote: Also, I wanted to get this along with the RG412 cabinet. (Use the RG200 for smaller venues where the cabinet is not needed and obviously adding the RG412 for larger) How much would you recommend this? (I play several types of metal mostly, also some alternative and indie- From Dethklok to BFMV to Paramore to state general bands that I play along to...)
    if you ass speakers to an amp, it still puts out the same amount of power. the only real reason to do so is because it looks cooler. just mic your amp and run it thru the pa for live shows.