RG60 review by Raven

Raven: RG60

I am playing an Ibanez RG2EX1 with dual humbuckers designed by EMG. The sound is the real selling point of this amp because of its relatively low price. It sounds much more distinct and clear than any other amp in it's price range and competes with tube amps that are "supposed" to sound warmer. The rhythm (clean) channel is very good. It can sound like you're playing an acoustic if you want or it can go all the way to a very powerful, warm solo tone with the right settings. For the lead channel, the gain knob gives more range than the other amps in the <400 usd range, which was a huge plus for me. Cranked up all the way, it produces a distortion very similar to the metalzone pedals out there. Last, but not least, the 12 inch speaker included is very strong. The quality of the speaker included is where a lot of Raven's ingenuity and competition lies. It is much louder and clearer than the other amps between 50 and 80 watts, which is why Raven can sell this amp for so much cheaper than others. They have figured out a way to make the amplification process cheaper without sacrificing quality.

I am not saying this is the best amp ever created. It's not. However, considering that not all of us have a neverending supply of cash, this is the best "bang for the buck" amp around. Very loud, very warm/clear, and very affordable. If you don't need a giant stage setup, this is the amp for you.

This amp is built like a tank. The speaker enclosure is protected on the front lines by a metal grating, behind which lies a Diamond-style plating that holds the speaker in place. Metal corner-guards and solid side materials make this amp a good speaker/chair combination. I could stand on it and play if I wanted (I weigh 150 lbs).

The RG60 is an incredible amp for the money. Raven is a relatively new company, so not many people know of it, but I can attest that the company had to be innovative to compete as a new contender. I am a relatively new player of a few months and it took me that whole period to pick an amp. I have had this one for a few weeks now. It comes fitted with two channels: lead and rhythm. The lead channel has gain, bass, mid, treble, and volume knobs, while the rhythm channel has all of those minus the gain control. All the way on the right is a nice reverb control as well. On the back, there are I/O jacks for effects loop, external speaker, and footswitch. On top of that, there is a digital tuner on the front. It's not loaded with crazy features or amp models, but then again, it isn't really necessary with the equalizer controls. I use this amp in my room for practicing, but I also take it to church halls or presentation rooms. Believe me, I have enough power on this thing to drown out the rest of the bands.