RG60 review by Raven

Raven: RG60

I use a Jackson KVX10 X King V with active EMG 81 and 85 humbuckers (81 in bridge and 85 in neck positions). I play metal, all kinds and want that hard, crunchy tone, and this amp works. It's not the best sound because there are no effects included (other than reverb), and it's solid-state, but it's awesome! I use a Boss ML-2 MetalCore Distortion Pedal on the clean channel, and it gives a decent crunch. It does give feedback though at high volumes, a little under 3 o clock volume, there is buzz and feedback (if you don't play anything with guitar volume all the way up), but it's not a big problem. This amp is loud enough for gigs and tiny concerts. The cleans are crystal clean, but the distortion on the amp's lead channel and buzzy, but not that much. The amp's distortion wouldn't work for metal, but it works good for rock and Iron Maiden stuff. The clean channel is not distorted at high volumes, but as I said you never have to go like even halfway.

This amp works for me, but I am soon gonna buy a Line 6 Spider III 150 watt combo. I heard that's a good solid-state amp and comes with many effects and presets. That's $500 and has many more features. The Raven RG60 is about $200, so big difference. I would recommend buying this for beginners to intermediate. If it were stolen or lost, I wouldn't buy another one because I'm getting a new amp soon, but if I wasn't buying the Line 6, I might just buy the Raven RG200, because that has a couple of more features. This amp is good.

This amp is reliable and durable. Had it for a couple of months now and nothing happened to it (well I'm always careful about not damaging my things). I would gig without a backup. The amp has never broken down. It's about 50-60 pounds but that's not a problem because it's a good amp.

This company is new, I think formed in 2007, same with the amp. This amp is a solid-state amp, but a good one. 1x12 combo amp, 60 watts into 8 ohms. It's versatile and works well with both cleans and metal. I play metal, all kinds, and it works. I use a Jackson KVX10 X King V and a Boss ML-2 MetalCore Distortion pedal on the clean channel and I get good distortion. The has a rhythm channel (clean) and a lead channel (Drive). I actually don't like the lead channel because it gives me a fuzzy rock tone, and I play metal. Otherwise it's pretty good. You can get like an Iron Maiden tone with about maximum gain. The lead channel has these knobs: gain, bass, mids, treble, and volume. The rhythm channel has these knobs: bass, mids, treble, and volume. Then there is one reverb knob for both channels. There are no effects built in so that's why this amp is pretty cheap for the price. But it does come with a chromatic tuner, pretty nice one. Let me tell you this: this amp is loud as hell! I am not lying but I have never gone at 3 o clock volume and it can easily beat a drum set, keyboardist, singer, and two other guitarists. It can easily work for gigs. The input jack is on the front of the amp, and on the back of the amp there is a footswitch jack (footswitch not included), effects loop (one jack for IN, and one jack for OUT), and an external speaker jack. This amp is about 50-60 pounds but not a problem.

rfawarchild
    driggsi424 wrote: For a hundred dollars more you could get an awsome 5 watt Blackheart tube amp that is lound enough to suit most peoples needs. And it sounds much, much better. Think about it.
    I'm a Blackheart fan and own the "little giant head" as well as the "handsome devil" head. I am backordered on the 100w "hothead". While these are my handsdown favorite amps to date the 3/5 "little giant" he speaks of is just not loud enough compared to the Raven 60watt...for someone interested in metal. Get the Raven-they sound just fine for SS and are frigging LOUD!!...i have several students who are using this amp along with used MIK Ibanez RG-270's/ 220's/250's. They have great tone for beginners-advanced in all genres of music. For Extreme Metal just add a decent metal pedal. Just my two cents after 25 years experience playing.
    tyler_faith_08
    I have thought about it and have come to a conclusion. Blackheart-5 watts, not half the volume, inconvenience of being a stack, and what like one knob? better hope you like how it sounds. $300 Raven-60 watts, almost too loud, combo(can carry it with one hand) adjustments on anything, and 2/3 the price. hmmmm...I see your point.