RG60 review by Raven

Raven: RG60

Purchased from: Guitar Ccenter

When I play, I use one of 2 guitars, depending on what I'm playing. I have a Jackson DKMG with a single Seymour Duncan 59 model pickup, 500k pot, and a little extra weight added to the body, and a Schecter Gryphon with a Duncan distortion pickup in the bridge. The clean channel has a little too much of a bass for some peoples taste, but I'm the one writing the review. The biggest thing with this amp is that, unlike most other amps, all the knobs have a prominent effect. Like thousands of others, I Have been chasing the early Van Halen tone for some time now. I never played my Jackson because I thought the tone was too thin, and just stuck to the Schecter. I was playing through several different amps at guitar center and when I plugged into the Raven, my friend on the isle across from me came around to see what it was. It was closer to the early Van Halen tone than anything I had ever heard in person. I bought it and played the Jackson, and the tone was considerably thicker, and had way more overall tone than a Marshall mini stack, Crate, old Peavey, or an older Fender. I modified the Jackson to it's present state, and nailed the tone I was looking for. Where there is normally a compromise between bass and treble, or tone and volume, there is no compromise. The punch and intensity of the PAF style pickup and the Raven have a tone like no other. The tone is unimaginable, for lack of a better definition.

For the style of music that I play, rock, metal, hair metal, this is a perfect match. I have recommended the amp to a few people, and never use any of my other amps. I have been playing for about 5 years, about 6 hours or more a day or when I'm not in class. As far as my overall impression of the amp, I am more than satisfied. If this amp was stolen, I would buy this amp, or a larger model as long as it had the same sound as this one. Like I tell everyone else, buy it.

As far as whether I would use the amp at a gig, no questions asked, yes. The amp has never failed me. I had the amp on back of my truck (that does not have a tailgate) on my way home, so I just took it easy. I was about a mile from home when I got behind a slow driver and it started raining. I was focused on the driver and never thought about the amp. I finally got aggravated and stomped it to pass the driver on an incline. As I turned into my driveway, I thought about the amp being in the rain and drove faster to get to the carport. I got under the carport and got out and turned to grab the amp. It was gone. I immediately got back in the truck and flew back the way I came. I saw the amp on the side of the road in the grass and just knew it'd never work again. I got it in the truck with all my other stuff and made my way to my house. I dried it off and placed it in front of a box fan until the next day. I still use the amp to this day.

The amp is a 60 watt solid state, with 2 foot switchable channels and Raven's own 12" speaker. To cut straight to the point, there is nothing out of the ordinary with this amp, but it sure does make good use of what it has. it's got the basic, left to right, gain-bass mid treble volume, and clean-bass mid treble volume, and reverb. It has a built in tuner on the far left that is pretty accurate compared to a Korg tuner. It has a speaker line out, effects out and in, and foot Switch jacks on back. I gave it a 9 because of the lack of a contour control. Other than that, I have everything I want in an amp. I generally use the amp when playing with small bands in front of no more than a hundred people, and never have to crank it up past about the 10 o'clock position. frankly, I am unable to turn it up far past that for where I'm playing.