RG60 review by Raven

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Raven: RG60

I am by nature, a Fender man through and through, so I had no choice but to try this out with a Stratocaster.First, I went through the clean channel, and when I did, I noticed that there was quite a kick to it. The tone on this channel was very reminiscient of my old Princeton 65 and for that, I was quite pleased, especially with the reverb which seems to be quite powerful. Now the distortion is another story and this is the worst part of this amp. If you're using Humbuckers, I suppose that you'll get a halfway sounding tone out of it, but if you're using single coils, forget it. I had to turn the gain all the way up just to get some punch on this channel and even then, it sounded like shit. You'd be well advised to use a distortion pedal with this amp if you're going to play metal. This is definatly not a Metal amp, that's for sure. It took me forever just to get a halfway decent sounding tone on the distortion channel.

I play classic rock and 80's hair metal and have been playing for over 36 years. I personally feel that this amp would be good for either a beginner or as use for a practice amp only. There's no way in hell I would use this amp for a gig. I think it's one of the worst amps that I've ever heard in my life. If you go to Guitar Center's website, their reviews praise this amp, which leads me to believe that their reviews are pretty much fabricated in order to lure buyers into buying this piece of crap.Now I was told that these were made by Crate, which I find very hard to believe, because I won a Crate GX-65 and that would definately blow this piece of shit away. I would not waste my money on this product and nor should you.

I'm sure that I could gig with this without a backup. It seems to be very well put together. The thing weighs a f--king ton for a 60 watt combo and it's loud as hell for a amp of this wattage.I've been using solid state amps for the last 20 years and have never needed a backup.I find as a whole that solid state amps are just much more reliable that tubes and are much less of a headache as far as the maintenance is concerned.

From what I've heard, these came out in 2007 and are owned by Guitar Center. They are manufactured by Crate from what I was told at GC when I went to try this one out a couple of weeks ago. I am in the market right now for a new amp and am trying to keep my options open. I saw a video on You Tube of a guy playing a Les Paul through one of these and the tone that he was getting just sounded insane, so I had to go and try one out. This is a 2 channel, 60 watt combo with a Steel Blackface Grill over the Speaker. It does seem to be well made from what I gathered, but I do wish that it came with a footswitch