RG60 review by Raven

Raven: RG60

I have a wide variety of guitar shapes and pickups and they all respond differently. I play mainly metal, but also some Boston and other old rock bands. It has a really good scooped sound, which is really important to me since thats almost all I ever use. It sounds good to me when I play my Relient K and Boston songs with the mids pumped and the distortion turned down, too, but I don't know much about whats good in those types of tonal areas as far as The Music goes. The hum is pretty low and doesn't feed back unless I have one of my other amps going and have my Boss OS-2 hooked up to the Raven. It has quiet a bit of distortion, but my Jackson has really low output pickups and its my death/modern metal guitar so I need the OS-2 when I use that guitar. With my Washburn, Ibanez, and ESP, its got plenty, unless you turn it up too high. It's got a sweet spot where the distortion maxes out and if you adjust either direction from their on the volume, it fades away a bit. Don't use the clean much and when I do I want chorus so I use my DigiTech RP250 which has a bunch of amp models so I don't really know how great the clean is, but it works for me. A lot better modern/metal sound than my friends' Fender Frontmans of equal or higher price.

It works pretty well for modern/90s metal but might not be so great for low distortion. This was my second amp in my 3 1/2 years of playing and was way better than my first amp (a Drive CD300) and is still better than the popular Fender Frontman and Marshall MG series. I now have a Randall Colossus head, which is a better heavy metal amp but costs a lot more. I plan on keeping this one, though, because it is a great amp for the price. It can easily handle small gigs/band practice and for somewhat bigger gigs, hook it up to an extra 2x12. It's an amp all it's own, not a modeling amp trying to imitate others like Line 6 does. If you don't need the effects and modeling versatility, Line 's are pointless becuase you can simply buy that amp. With these, you can have your own tone and amp. I probably would buy another if it got stolen because its a great deal. For the price, its one of the best investments around.

I've had no problems thus far, but I don't crank it up too high all that often. It's been gigged with once and did just fine. Matched up to my partners Fender Frontman 2x12 just fine. Feels plenty heavy enough to be just about bullet proof. The metal grill definitely makes it look that way. The wood is nice and thick and seems really solid.

I got mine in Spring 2008 when they were pretty much a Brand New product. It has two channels (one clean, one distortion) each with their own EQ's and volumes, a universal reverb, one input, and a tuner on the front. On the back, it's got an fx loop send and return, footswitch out, and an additional speaker out. It works with a two button footswitch to switch channels and turn reverb on and off. It has one 12" Raven speaker protected by a metal grill and 60 watts to power it. Of course, its a solid state and, sorry, but no headphone jack for quiet practice.