RG60 review by Raven

Raven: RG60

I had wriiten a review over a year ago where I was pretty much slamming these amps. Well, time has gone by and Raven must have improved on these because, the distortion on these now have more than enough gain to play any type of music, from blues to full out Heavy Metal. I play a MIM Fender Strat and I do admit that it did take me quite a while to get the gain adjusted to me personal liking, but once I did, I was just blown away by well the sustain is on this. The clean channel is just great IMO. It reminds me of a old Fender Princeton 65 combo which I used to own over 10 years ago and it just sounds sweet. The louder I go with it, it doesn't break up at all, and to me that's the sign of a good amp. Like I said, Raven must've listened to some of the complaints that they were getting and decided to improve on these.

I'd been using a Crate GTD120 which recently had been starting to go out on me, so I decided to Switch to something smaller. I originally had bought a Fender Frontman 65 at Guitar Center but, the clean channel on it was defective and I ended up bringing it back yesterday and took a chance on the Raven. After trying it out in the store, I'm glad that I did. I'm tired of using amps with built in effects and wanted to get back to basics and the Raven fits my needs. This is a Meat and Potatoes amp for someone Who just wants to rock without any effects or bullshit involved.

This box is built like a f--king tank. It weighs in at a well built 50 lbs and has a Black metal grill covering the 12" speaker. I'm pretty positive that I could use this at a gig without any problems what'soever. I also make it a habit to baby all of my gear, so dependability certainly is not a issue here. I can definately see this lasting me a long time and besides, it comes with a 3 year warranty.

Mine was made in 2009 and is a 2 channel, 60 watt, no frills, solid state combo amp. It features Volume, Bass, Mid, Treble, on each channel and a gain control on the Lead channel and a separate control for the Reverb along with a built in tuner which has it's own on/off Switch. It also has a 12" speaker with a solid Black metal grille on the front of it, and it weighs in at a very solid 50 lbs. This amp packs quite a punch and is quite capable of handling small club gigs.