RG60 review by Raven

Raven: RG60

Purchased from: Private Seller - Ebay

This thing gets loud in a hurry. I was surprised at how loud this amp really is knowing its only 60 watts. When compared to my friends Peavey Bandit 212 it can keep tabs pretty easy, sounding almost as loud as his amp. I usually play a Epiphone Standard SG with naked hummers and I can't complain. Every once in a while I'll plug in my friends MIM Telecaster with a hot rail in the bridge and it still sounds good. Even with an acoustic electric this rig sings. The built in gain really lives up to its name, but as stated earlier can be a bit touchy in getting the sound you want. Plus it sounds almost digital when cranked up. The RG60 can produce a decent variety of sounds, most of which fit what I want out of it. But once again, the reverb sounds terrible. Other than the effects its a really solid set-up.

I've used this amp to play black metal, grunge, metal, and even bluegrass. Each time it has performed great and never failed on our small stage or in the open. I would definitely recommend this to somebody in the market for a garage band practice amp. This thing is fun to play around with, though the built in effects are less than desirable. Overall I really enjoy this amp. Even though I would prefer a tube amp, this is a close second.

The cab for the RG60 is very strong and durable. I've dropped this rig from about 3 feet right on a corner and all it did was tear the cover. Having it in a dorm room it has had drinks spilled on it, been kicked and pushed around, and pushed to its limits. After all of this its still as good as the day I got it. There is no question that I would not be afraid to use this by itself.

AS far as features go this amp has 2 channels, a lead and rhythm channel. The clean channel is great, I have a great time on this channel and pedals run and sound great through this. The lead channel though is a bit testy in my opinion. Trying to use the built in gain just gives away that its a solid state. For some that's a great thing, but I prefer a more tube vibe. It comes with 2 built in effects, gain and reverb. Like I said earlier the gain was a bit testy and was kind of hard to get the sound I wanted out of that. When it comes the reverb I absolutely detest it. It makes the guitar sounds terrible and out of tune. I've never used it and don't ever plan to. When I bought mine, it came with an Eminence Texas Heat speaker, which I think really helps with the overall tone this amp produces. I'm not sure how the stock speaker sounds, but I've heard great things about tone improvement from the Texas Heat, as two of my friends have them in their amps. Overall I'd say its a good practice amp, but nothing I would gig with unless running through the clean channel.

MalcolmFreely29
    i play punk and this is really good since the distortion isnt that high.i play either a Harmony H-802, Squier Strat, or a Dean ZX and it fits my style well.