RG60 review by Raven

Raven: RG60

I use this with a Fender Hippie Blue Strat. It has a fairly HOT bridge humbucker, and a very smooth neck single coil. I play punk and hardcore type stuff. It isn't good for that on it's own, but it takes distortion pedals through the clean channel very very well. Using a BBE AM-64, I get a great distorted tone. The clean channel is very clear and articulate. Some people would call it sterile, and I wouldn't really disagree with them, but I love the sound of it. The single coil shines through and is somehow smooth and punchy at the same time. Due to the stock speaker, it gets muddy at higher volumes. I run it through a Jensen MOD and it sounds much better this way. Again, do not plan on using the distortion. It lacks warmth, high end definition, or real punch and feel. Some SS amps offer good distortion for heavy metal styles, but this isn't one. It has the coldness a lot of players like for metal, but not nearly enough thick chunky gain. I'm giving it a 7 because the clean channel is great, but the gain channel is unusable and the stock speaker sucks.

Again. I play punk and hardcore. It's good for that because of how well the clean channel takes dirt pedals. I've been playing for about 4 years. I got a Kustom HV30 recently. It's a hybrid and the Raven flat out destroys it. The Kustom sounds thin and brittle by comparison on the clean channel, and the distortion channel is somehow even worse than the Raven. If it was lost, I'd look at something else just because I'm ready to step up to tubes. I'd say if you want a clean platform for your dirt pedals, than this amp fits the bill nicely. I think in the cheap SS amp market, this is your best buy. I've looked at some other SS amps, and they just suck by comparison. There's one thing I don't like feature wise. You can't use the external speaker jack if the internal speaker wires are disconnected. Small complaint but it's kind of annoying.

It's built like a tank and it's SS. I think you have to try to hurt them.

Amp is pretty new, apparently 07 or newer. It's not versatile at all. It has a great clean channel and that's what it's for. The second channel(distortion) kind of sucks. There isn't really anything else I need on the amp that I would want. I use this amp for practicing and jamming with a few friends. It has a reverb, but it's pretty weak. If you like a weaker type of reverb, it's good. With it cranked, it sounds like you would expect to be at 10:00.