Sonic 120H / Cab12 Full Stack Review

1.7
 3.3
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Sonic 120H / Cab12 Full Stack Reviewed by: Kellingso, on june 17, 2011

Features: This amp is good for beginners I would say. Is contains basic styles like distortion, overdrive, clean etc. Where you can add effects as delay, reverb, chorus, flanger and wah-wah. This makes is good for starters because of the quite wide selection of sound. However the effects sounds are poorly when it's compared to more expensive amps or pedals. It features 2 Cab's 100wat. You can store 5 selfmade changes and the amp comes with Headphone input and a footswitch to Switch left and right between channels. However this amp sound (as said) is not good compared to more expensive gear and pedals, however it's good for beginner og and people who would like to start a little low on the amp budget. // 6

Sound: As it comes to sound I would say you should go buy a more expensive amp. The Riot Sonic 120 doesn't have the most brutal, but rather thin sound and I would say the style for this amp will mostly be clean sweet sing-a-song-writer or maybe some soft rock or anything like that. Despite this, you can get much variety from the styles. I play Metal most so it's not quite the amp for me, but is good for playing classical or silent clean music. But then again, if you played that kind of music what would you need 100 wats for? // 3

Reliability & Durability: I had this amp for about two-three months and then something weird startet to happend. After playing on it a few minutes it went from nothing to WAAAAH! It was like time had stopped and meanwhile, someone had turned op on ALL volume buttons on f--king 11 or 12! My ears blew away and I got the biggest shock of my life. It sounded like a women screaming very loudly... I thought to myself this was a one timer. But no. It happens alot when I play, therefor I stopped playing on it. I don't think I could have done anything by myself to make it do this. I don't know what's happening. But NO. I would'nt depend on it for a gig and I do not dare playing on it again! // 1

Overall Impression: I play alot of metal and the amp doesn't quite suit this up. Sure it has distortion which you can moderate, but I would instead have bought a cheaper amp and a good pedal instead of this. I play on it with my Explorer LTD which works good on other amps. And if I could ask for something before buying it, it would be "are there something else you would recommend?" and I would buy something else if it were stolen. If I should compare it to my Marshall MG15 (which is a small amp) I would say even though Marshall doesn't have alot of effects like Riot, is does work more for me as a metal player. // 3

Comments