VooDu Valve review by Rocktron

Rocktron: VooDu Valve

Purchased from: 2nd hand

In the power stage I use a Hughes & Kettner vs-250 tube power amp. I'm using this with an LTD EX-400 and a B.C. Rich KKV, both with active EMG's; it suits my style very well (I play mostly heavy/thrash metal. I never get hisses or hums from it, thanks to the Hush system. Featuring 4 types of basic sounds, we may call them channels even though it is not the exact description for them, you can choose whether to use the preamp tube at its full potential, mix it with the solid state section, or kick in the variac control to keep low the volume while cranking the gain. This gives you endless possibilities, from pristine clean to roaring distortion. The effects section is really studio-grade, though after 18 years since it's development, the unit is certainly not the newest technology available.

This workhorse is a perfect match to the gigging musician, as well as the studio recording pro. I've been playing for a Decade now and I own plenty of other amps and guitars, but I've never found a better match to my style. I play heavy/thrash metal, with searing riffs but also clean parts, I think I could've never chosen a better preamp.

It's dependable, indeed. Just think it's been on stages all over Italy for almost 19 years. The preamp tube has never let me down, as long as the pots and controls. I would and I do gig with it more than 4 times per month. Never had contacts with the customer service.

This tube/solid state preamp was made in the early '90s, it's the first version, without online feature. The voodu is really versatile, I use it to get sounds which vary from blues to hard rock to heavy metal and back to jazz. It features 4 types of amplification (no models here, the baby's got it's own distinctive voice); 256 stereo presets to deal with, sporting all the classic effects as delay, chorus, pitch shift, controllable wah, compressor, the legendary Rocktron Hush noise suppressor, and more.

thureanappleyard2
    This is indeed a great pre-amp. According to the circuit diagram, it is a mix of solid state (op-amp) and a single low plate voltage (38V) 12AX7 tube. The Op-Amp acts as an overdrive to the tube, increasing the signal voltage input to the grid of the tube. The tube delivers the (presumably symmetric) distortion. With the low plate voltage the tube will give low gain, but the heavy distortion comes from the large overdrive. However it works exactly, it sounds 100% valve, and killer. I love the pre-amp tones. FX are pretty straight forward compared to today's modern stuff, but they are still high quality. I only really use a delay anyway, sometimes chorus. The FX on the prophecy are much better, but the Voodu Valve's tone is better IMO (the prophecy is a DSP modelling device). It is stereo, and works nest with a stereo power amp (valve version even better). It does have cab sims and DI. Holds it's own in my rack next to a Triaxis, ADA MP1 + MP2 and JMP1. Top unit.