Cube-15 review by Roland

Roland: Cube-15

Purchased from: Sound Control

I mostly play classic rock, southern rock, blues and some heavy metal. I use a Epiphone Les Paul 'Classic'. I bought this amp for my little brother, he is just starting ot play guitar nad uses my old Washburn 'super-strat' type guitar with two single coils and a humbucker on the bridge. The clean channle on this amp is pretty much a standard clean channel. You can adjust the EQ to suit. With my Les Paul I can get tones ranging from a nice 'jangle' on the bridge pick up with the treb notched up a little to a deep bluesy tone on the neck pup. Its all pretty standard stuff, but I was impressed by the loud volumes the amp can achieve without naturally distorting. However, swtich channels and your in business. All four of the 'lead voices' give a good variety of lead sounds. The metal and metal stack do as you would imagine, give sounds ranging from an insane 'Zack Attack' wild metal solo sounds, to a more maniagable but equally heavy thrashing type sound. Not really my cup of tea, but both settings sounded good and if I played more metal would suit me fine. The 'distortion' tone gives a good range of standard rock sounds, again going from more subtle classic rock type noise to Pete Townshend, windmilling, amp blowing the wind back in your face type rock noise. The 'Overdrive' setting is where this little amp shines. It gives the perfect range of bluesy rock tones up to awesome classic rock tones ala Angus Young sound. This amp really impressed me with the volume it can achieve and the amount of 'punch' it gives. On the overdrive setting with the volume cranked up, it sounds as good as my 30watt Vox. For 65, I can't believe what a great sounding amp this it. Apart from the great sounds you can make with it, another important point is that this amp doesn't buzz or hum annoyingly like some amps. When you're not playing it is more or less silent, sign of a good amp.

I bought this amp for my little brother as his first electric guitar amplifier. If I was starting out again, I would definately get one of these. The value for money is incredible. For 15 watts it can achieve volume enough to jam with friends (but not to gig). The range of tones it produces makes it versatile, but mostly steered to playing rock music. This is an ideal first amp and brilliant value for money. For a practice amp or first amp I couldn't recommend it more. Sure it would be nice to have a footswitch and maybe reverb, but at these prices and with a free 3 year warranty, who's complaining!

This little box is solidily built. Obviously it is just for bedroom use etc, but it is still build like a brick outhouse. I can imagine knocking this over etc and not having to woorry about damaging it. The knobs all turn with a reassuring firmness, showing the quality of the parts and build. As an added bonus, the amp came with a free 3 year warranty. For 65! Brilliant.

Solid state 15 watt practice amp with two channels and EQ. Also includes handy line out/headphone jack and auxillary input so you can play along with a CD player etc. The first channel is the clean channel, pretty straight forward, volume and treb, mid, bass. The second channel is for 'lead' and gives four modelled 'lead' voices, overdrive, distortion, metal and metal stack, You can adjust the gain and volume as well as the EQ for each 'voice'. 8" speaker and 15 watts, for such a small amp, this thing sounds immensley loud, but more of that later.