Cube-15 review by Roland

Roland: Cube-15

Purchased from: Local music store

I am using a BC Rich Mockingbird guitar with humbucking pickups, and it sounds fantastic through this little box. The tone is rich and deep and the sustain from some of the overdrive settings just goes on for ever. I play mostly rock music with a heavy blues bias, and I have to say that this sound suits me down to the ground. The clean setting is also sharp and bright, for those moments when you want to show your sensitive side. All told this is a very versatile amp with a range of sounds from clean and fresh to filthy-nasty, and passing through most places in between. I am most impressed at the quality of the sound at very low volumes (I have very intolerant neighbours), which maitains it's depth and bite.

This amp was a happy accident for me. I live in eastern Hungary, where there is not usually much of selection of goods; be they musical or otherwise, so I simply purchased the one with a name that I could both recognise and pronounce. However, I am absolutely blown away by it. If it was stolen, I would probably buy it again. Although, by that time, my wife will probably have forgotten how much money I have spent recently, and I'll have the Cube 30 instead! A great little amp.

Not had it long enough to say, really, but the fact that it has a metal grill on the front does mean that my cats can't trash it. The've destroyed just about everything else that I own, so that has to be a bonus. It looks to be pretty weel made, to be honest.

The features are as described in all the other reviews, so there's no point in repeating them. Suffice to say that the number of features to price of amp ratio is high. Having come back to guitar playing afetr an extended (about 15 year) break, I am strictly limited to playing in my flat at the moment, but I have no doubt that this machine would be up to playing a small venue (pub/club/sleazy bar) without cause to mic it up. Reverb would have been nice, but the overdrive and distortion effects are so rich that this barely matters. You really can't fault it for the money.