Cube-15 review by Roland

Roland: Cube-15

I was using it with an Ibanez RG370DX guitar but now I sold that guitar, and I'm using a Yamaha ERG 121. The amp is ok for some of the styles like blues, jazz, and funk but it's not all that great for shredding. The distortion channel is amazing for rhythm work, and covering songs by Metallica and Iron Maiden, but when it comes to playing stuff like Dream Theater, Buckethead, Satriani....the amp doesn't really give you what you want for shredding. It's not noisy at all and it only causes feedback when you're using the Drive channel wit the volume all the way up. The amp is very flexible and can be used for a variety of styles, especially when you need brutal distortion tones for rythm work, but it's not all that great for shredding. I just doesn't do well in that area, but luckily, I've got my Line6 POD XT Live, which I rely on for getting my tones. Before getting it, I used the amp's Drive channel, but now I keep the amp on the clean channel and use the pedal's distortion models for everything. I almost never use the Drive channel unless I don't have my pedal with me. With the pedal, the amp sounds great, and can really get loud! Almost loud enough to let you Jam with a drummer!

In general it's a great practice amp for everyone. It's versatile, reliable, and loud enough for jamming with musicians, but not gigging. The distortion tones are great, and quite diverse and great for everything from Jazz to Death Metal riffing, but not really suitable for shredding. If my amp got stolen I would by the exact same amp because it's got everything I need in an amp. I don't like amps with too many effects in them, for the effects I use my Line 6 POD XT Live, which does the job pretty well. I love that it's straightforward, and bullshit-free. I only wish the distortion channel was more suitable for shredding.

I have dropped the amp from my desk several times, and nothing has happened to it! It never brakes and doesn't really need any maintenance because it's a solid state amplifier. It can really handle a beating! It can't really be used for gigs, because it's only 15 watts, but if it were louder (say 60 watts) then I would gig with it without backup. It's very sturdy.

I purchased this amp when I first started playing electric guitar, which was around 4 or 5 years ago. It's a solid state amp with 2 channels, the first is clean and the second is distorted. The distortion channel has 4 different types of distortion and they are: 1-Overdrive, which is a subtle type of distortion. 2-Distortion, slightly heavier. 3- Metal, I use this for rhythm. 4-Metal Stack, the heaviest one. The clean channel has a volume knob, and the Drive channel has a volume and a gain knob. Both channels share a 3-band equalizer (Bass, treble, middle). There's no effects loop in this amp, and channel switching can only be done by pressing the button that selects the channel. There's no pedal that can control that. I use amp this amp for practice and jamming with other musicians, but I don't gig with it because it's only 15 watts.