Cube-15X review by Roland

Roland: Cube-15X

Purchased from: Allans

I'm using this with a Squier Fat Strat Standard. Maybe just me, but I don't like it a all. Clean is clean, but wherever I go this amp just seems to lack character. I liked it when I bought it, but have since tried many amps so maybe my opinion has somewhat waned. OD is flat, Dist is crunchier OD, although metal and metal stack do what they do very well. Also, I found that the clean starts to pop after about 12 o'clock. in volume. Very much a practice amp. Power squeezer adds a lot of quality to Lead channel, but cuts volume to about 1/4. Good for practice for metalheads maybe, but not being one, doesn't serve me much purpose.

I'm a grunge monkey, whom dabbles in psychedelic rock, prog rock, and occasionally some blues. The Roland, while an attractive package, should only be considered by up and coming metalers. I found it very digital like in sound (it is a modelling amp to a degree) but the clean sounds just too flat for me. It's a solid beginner's amp, but will never, ever reach any good volume for practice or gigging. A true bedroom amp. 7 because I know people use these (and like them) I am not one of them. Oh well.

Would not gig with it (c'mon) but seems pretty sturdy. Roland = Boss so I would probably use this as a bullet shield if it wasn't my amp. Seems very well built and would last decades if I intended to keep it that long. I want to upgrade, so I'll have to think about what I'm going to do with this one. Otherwise bulletproof.

15 watt amp with clean or lead, lead has 4 modes: OD, dist, metal and metal stack. Power Squeezer (which manual indicates takes it from 15 to 2 watts, also helps with clarity.) Aux in (3.5mm) and headphone socket. Classic Roland Styling and my first amp. Standard 3-way EQ (bass, mid and treb). Lead has gain also. Feature rich for what it is.