Cube-15X review by Roland

Roland: Cube-15X

Price paid: A$ 125

Purchased from: Ebay

I am using a Takamine eg510ssc Acoustic and Freedom starter pack single coil guitar to play through this amp. This amp is of high proficiency in the classic rock to metal sounds although packs lack luster clean and bluesy sounds. A lot of the style of music I play is classic rock, alternative and blues, and I feel I chose the wrong amp for my music preferences, due to this being a metal amp. On the rare occasion that I have rolled over onto the metal stack option I have heard good authentic (to me) metal sounds. The distortion is TEH BROOTALS. The amp has good EQ and you can find a variety of different tones on the lead settings although on the clean I have found it very difficult to find a tone that sounds nice. This meaning it is pretty much always lifeless.

This amp is of high quality and especially for the price I paid, as it was just like new. I have been playing for almost a year and feel that when I started I thought I would be heavier stuff than I have ended up being, hence my disappointment in this amp. The Power squeezer is a good feature - especially seeing as though I don't enjoy destroying my eardrums, and was one of the main reasons I chose this amp. If this amp was stolen or lost I wouldn't be too distressed and I would probably by a nicer amp e.g Blackstar HT5 or new Marshall Class 5 (yummy). I wish this amp had nice cleans because if it did it would be perfect.

This amp is built like a brick. I wouldn't ever gig with it because by the time I'm gigging I would hope to have maybe a tube amp of some sort but it also probably lacks the volume to get over the drummer. I have jammed with my friend who is a drummer and he was really overpowering.

My Roland Cube 15X was manufactured in 2008.the Roland Cube15x is a popular solid state amp with Features including 2 channels: Clean and lead, although the lead channel has four different settings. These being Overdrive, Distortion, Metal and Metal Stack. This amp has an AUX input, headphone jack, Equalization with bass, mids and treble controls. One of the main features of this amp is the power squeezer which lowers the wattage to about 2 watts. This works well for maintaining tone at lower volumes. Feature wise this amp differs from the 30x in built in effects and a foot Switch jack.

etguitar
    I have this amp and I think its a great amp to get u started but if you are more serious about playing guitar and become a more advanced player you might want to think about buying a new amp after a few year of having this one since it does not have a good enough sound. Marshalls and Fender amps are what you need when your an advanced player. But beginners go for this...its a good investment.
    rickkky_rich
    I guess its best for practising at home... not very good for gigs though.. but a decent amp..
    bass-man9712
    THE loudest amp i've ever used, i haven't gone to the 2nd tick mark yet, i don't like the way my distortion is sounding though, it's either the amp or the guitar, hope it's the amp cuz they are cheaper to replace. excellent starting amp though
    Viper_93
    I have this amp a year and i HATE it!!! Now....i'm not a tone-freak...all i ask of an amp is to give me a punk crunch reminiscent of green day or else a metal sound for easy rythm playing.....this amp delivers both very badly... btw..it's not my guitar, as i have a very beautiful les paul which sounds amazing on almost any other amp. I know that i am going to be flamed cos it's a beginner's market they aim for, but seriously guys...an extra 100 euro, and you have a MUCH better amp!!!
    Kirage
    bigMaor wrote: its loud... I dont get him. I think its the guitar, thse pickups sucks so you dont get a good sound out of it. I have the same problem with my Squier (and whats why I need a new guitar lol)
    I have been told that Yamaha's in the same price range as squiers (in the below $500 range) are better for the price... Based on my previous experience with Yamaha's...this is probably true. Not to say that Squier doesn't have better guitars at the higher end. Peace.