Cube-15X review by Roland

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Roland: Cube-15X

Price paid: € 90

Purchased from: MusicShop Porto

My guitar is a Jack&Danny (piece of S**t, don't you ever buy one! I made a great mistake!) Les Paul model. And this amp can't just sustain my guitar. If I push the sound a bit higher it starts do give that really bad feedback sound. For example, if I solo and I do some longer bend in the 14th or 15th fret it just can't sustain the sound. Regarding the types of distortion I have to say Overdrive is kinda good. Well, I like it a lot and if you "program" the guitar and amp (bass, treble and medium) you get a sound kinda close to those Jimmy Page "fat" sounds. I hate Distortion effect so I never use it. It is similar to overdrive but with more gain. Metal and Metal Stack are a bit close sound but if with the right toning you can really get some nice sounds or that. The Clean channel is not bad also. To play some acoustic stuff is really nice.

It is not good for Les Pauls. I use a Les Paul so it doesn't suit that well. I have been playing in it for almost 3 years but I'm planing to get a new amp since I need to do some shows and I just can't use this one. I will try to sell it. In the day I bought it my father was in a hurry so I couldn't try it that well but if it was now, I would have bought a Peavey Vypyr 15W or Line 6 Spider III 15W (choosing some one that has a close price to this one). I would thank the gods it was stolen! I would run buy something much better. My favorite features as I said are the Overdrive effect and the Power Squeezer. To have bought this one, obviously I didn't compare it with some other one. I think it is good for beginners but when you start to play better and with friends you just get sick or it because you can't get a large range of sound out of this amp.

NO! I would never ever use it on a gig. But neither use the majority of people I hope. Well, jokes apart, obviously this is a beginner training amp so you can never use it on a gig. But on the other hand it is extremely durable. I tend take good care of what it mine so it is easier for the amp to stay good. But even if you are careless it seems quite durable. It can sustain some bumps since in some parts its finishes are in thick rubber. I have it for almost 3 years and I think my dog even pissed once in the amp and it still works so it has been quite durable.

I play most classic rock alternative rock and some blues. Even though sometimes I play some metal riffs and Metallica stuff. First I would say the amp has the clean channel and the distortion. In distortion you have METAL STACK, METAL, DISTORTION and OVERDRIVE. But for me the best feature is the POWER SQUEEZER which reduces the volume at maximum gain. I don't use it now but when I bought the amp I always used it. I never use Distortion effect because I don't like it and sometimes I use metal or metal stack. I like them but they are just not my style so don't use it so often.

MauserMorris
    sorry crap as ****, too much mid, no bass, no depth the distortion is a lot of noise save up for tubes; peavey 6505 of fender hotrod
    Woffelz
    Why are people suggesting all tube amps? These are practice amps for people on a budget!
    Hunter2081
    This is totally right. Since I've posted my review, I know have a blackstar ht60 212 combo tube amp.....this thing kicks ass, but it also costs just short of 1, 000. There's nothing wrong with starting on a budget amp. I just really don't like this one. The vox vt series in particular have impressed me for being good beginners platforms.
    Bocaj123
    this amp is an o k amp for a first amp. the sound is not clear in the distorted chanel when playing chords. so i guess i do recemend this for a first amp.