Cube-20GX review by Roland

Roland: Cube-20GX

Price paid: C$ 229

Purchased from: Marthas Music, Camrose Alberta

20 watt modeling amplifier, clean channel modeled after the Roland Jazz Chorus, lead channel with amp emulations of various amps including overdrive, Boss distortion, Vintage Vox, Fender Twin (I think), Marshall '80s stack and Mesa Boogie as well as a decent acoustic emulation. Onboard effect including Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo, Spring reverb and plate reverb, built in tuner, separate clean, lead and memory channels and three band equalization, separate volume control for each channel as well as gain on the lead side and a separate master volume.

I tried this amp just because I had never seen or heard one before while looking at several options for a good quality and loud practice amp. I also viewed a Peavey tube stack, Fender Mustang 40 watt and a Crate Flexwave 65. I am an oldschool guitar player and formerly played through stack amps including Marshall, Sunn, Vox, among others both tube and solid state. This little amp ROCKS! It has plenty of variety in effects, and absolutely sweet clean channel and enough distortion to satisfy all but the most extreme metalheads. Of course Roland owns Boss Effects so naturally all of the effects are well done. Compared directly against the Mustang, both myself and the guitarist staff at Marthas found the sound of this amp far superior to the Mustang amps and as all of the effects are right there in front of you, finding a sound that you want is very simple, and saveable.

I have just bought it so long term reliability is yet to be seen. However Roland amps previously have proven extremely durable and not prone to fail. It does come with a two year warranty just in case though. Build quality compared to the Mustang is hands down. The amp is covered in sturdy material, has huge bumpers on all the corners and just seems solid. The Mustang on the other hand was covered in cheap looking plastic tolex which was seamed in the middle of panels and had no corner protection. As well, the knobs etc. Appear really solid and dependable.

I play a variety of music but mainly '60s through current rock as well as blues. The rock range goes from classic to hard rock. I have been playing for almost 40 years and have owned many different vintage amps, some when they were new! If the amp was lost or stolen I would have to decide if I had use for the Cube 40, otherwise yes I would definitely replace it. I love the fact it is loaded with quality features and a really good sound quality for a very reasonable price. This is a feature packed, easy to use and solidly built little amp and for only 20 watts, very very loud.

piperd
    After playing the amp for a few days I have only found one issue. The acoustic channel sounds great through a single coil pickup but do not plan on using it with humbuckers as the setup cannot provide a good acoustic sound. It does however give you some excellent options for a fairly clean sound and access to tons of effects.
    bailey1707
    H. does anyone know whether you can have the normal channel set with say just reverb and have the LEAD channels set to acoustic with some reverb and echo. I tried this but the echo stays on the normal channel which I don't want. IE, I want to toggle to the lead channel with the clean acoustic sound but with echo setting. Appreciate comments if someone knows how to do this as manual a bit ordinary.