Cube-20X review by Roland

Roland: Cube-20X

I have a Squier Strat SSS guitar and I get nice sounds out of it. No it's not the best ever and it will not even compare to a top of the line tube amp like many people try to do. It gets a wide selection of sounds I can get very clean to metal sounds. I love using clean with flange or phaser and full deal; or tube drive with just a touch of reverb. I'm going to guess it is guitar but at full volume with my guitar turned up all the way I get a slight hum, but nothing very strong. Once I hit a string you don't hear it any more and as soon as I turn my guitar down to 8 it goes away. The distortion is very nice, although with the gain cranked all the way to max with volume at 9 to 10 (dial has guide numbers, 0, 5, and 10) it gets muddy. As a practice amp I don't see myself getting this high while I'm not testing it out for this review. I can get a good rock tone out of it and still be able to switch to something more mellow with a few quick turns of the knobs. I like the effects and delay/reverb. The effects include chorus, flange, phaser, and tremolo. No they are not like having a pedal for which ever one you have switched on, but it is very nice and adds depth to your music. Great for a beginner to find out what they like. You can have one of the four effects and either delay or reverb. It has a LED for when you have one of the four effects turned on. 8 because of the wide array of sounds you can produce. Nice effects, and it is pretty decent as long as you don't max the volume out, but at around 8ish it is still pretty good.

I play rock and alternative stuff right now and it fits me nicely. For practice this amp will get me through till I destroy it. I have only had this for about a month and kinda playing for a little over two months. Kinda because I had a friends guitar before and practiced and now I've got my own and practice even more. Having an amp changes everything when it comes to playing a guitar. The only thing I would love to see changed is the tuner interface, when I first got the amp it was very confusing to start off with but I quickly adapted to it. I like how it has manual and chromatic tuner mode, but I normally use manual. One tip when tuning turn your guitar's volume up to max to tune with, it helps it identify the sound quicker. I love the distortion models and clean channel. I hate the user manual. It gave you a few different settings but left you high and dry after that. I don't think I can really hate anything about the amp. Another thing I love is the price, 160 plus tax is a great deal I think seeming how most amps with similar features were $200 or more and were still 15 watts. Overall great amp for beginners or practice. If someone stole this I would buy this one again, or find the person and beat them down. 8 overall because things could be better, but overall it is an awesome amp and will last me for quite a while. I also tried to be very critical, yet not compare it to my friends amp that is twice as expensive or more than this one. I listen very carefully to his and figure out what a good amp should sound like.

It is durable, I've rest my foot on it while changing settings around fiddling with all the knobs. I've dropped it from about six or eight inches and it still works fine. I'm very cautious with my gear so I don't think I'm gonna be dropping it above that anytime soon. You could jam with some friends but you can't go too gig worthy loud because it is only 20 watts, but it definably puts out some good sound. I would defiantly gig with it if I had a higher wattage Cube. Roland defiantly put it together nicely and gave me a great first impression. Light weight for its looks so it is easy to carry around. 10 because it is well built and I trust it. I took it home and it was on the bottom and came out just fine.

It has many good features, including a tuner, clean channel, lead channel, built in effects, delay/reverb, aux In, recording/headphone out, 3 EQ knobs, power squeezer, and foot Switch jack. For a beginner it has more than enough features to keep me busy. The Lead channel has 6 different Boss effects for different distortions: tube drive; metal; metal stack; overdrive; distortion; and acoustic. Other than tube drive they are pretty self explanatory. Tube Drive is set up so it adds distortion based on how hard you hit the strings. The power squeezer makes it so you can have high gain and distortion at lower volumes. It does get quite loud while in my room. I can't say what features I would like it to have because for a beginner, like me, it has everything I could possibly use currently. Although down the line I could see the effects would not hold up to a better guitarist. The on board tuning is great though for me. 8 because it is not perfect, but very good and for the price you can not beat all the extras it has.

angus69
    For the hum, it's the guitar, it's just a caratteristic of single coil pu's, don't worry
    giezoe
    great amp, even with a cheap amuse guitar it still produces a good sound, also good if you dont like to use pedals, has quite some effects build in, what I like most is the Aux in port, easier to mix music not bad, not bad at all
    metaldud536
    I tried this amp at Sam Ash and man does it sound awesome with the exact same guitar i have especially on the metal preset.
    Mer2112
    aksak, Thank you for the German site. Their knob settings refer to a clock in 24 hour format, right? (11,5 would be 11:30 and 13,5 would be 1:30) Thanks Again, Eric
    chaoticgeek
    I've never heard a Vox AD15VT... But this is a solid amp. Try them both out. There were no Vox's within my price range where I went shopping.
    chaoticgeek
    angus69 wrote: For the hum, it's the guitar, it's just a characteristic of single coil pu's, don't worry
    Your right, I was messing around and if I put it on one of the positions that use two it stops humming, and on one pickup it humms, but very little.
    aksak
    Oops I forgot! One guy was complaing here in his reviews that the 20X users' guide is poor regarding possible settings. True it gives only four examples (Clean Space, etc...). I recommend you to go to Roland Germany webpage, to the Products (in German, Produkte) section, then to the Guitar products (in German, Gitarrenprodukte) section and then to the Roland Cube 20X sub-section. There, by clicking on Soundliste, you get access to a PDF file with a list of settings of your 20X amp according to the style of various famous guitar players. Even if you don't speak German, you should be able to manage. Enjoy it! http://www.rolandmusik.de/hauptseite.sht...
    chaoticgeek
    I figured as much, but I just wanted to put it in there for others just in case it was not.
    aksak
    Hi! We bought one of these nice little Roland amps at the beginning of January. We use it for practice. We take advantage of its footswitch capability (which is one of the reasons, with the power squeezer, why we have chosen it instead of Cube 15X) with a Boss FS6 footswitch. Pedal B allows us to switch channel from Clean to Lead, pedal A to use or not EFX effects. GREAT!!
    rykoff sexton
    my teacher uses these for lessons, and they are a great little practice amp. I also used one at the Museum of Music Making in Carlsbad, great tone, very impressive for a little thing.
    chaoticgeek
    I like the power squeezer, at school I hardly ever take it off, it lets me practice quietly and have some good distortion as such low volumes.
    the_random_hero
    These little suckers are some of the best SS hybrid amps you can get for your money. I've used a Cube 30, but I'm interested in the Power Squeezer
    frusciante_5
    I jusr purchased this amp after playing with a marshall mgdfx for 3 years. Saying that its a better amp would be an understatement. This amp owns
    chaoticgeek
    I just noticed under the sounds I say "and full deal" I meant "and full delay"
    Mattmakesmetal
    Getting this amp tomorrow, i believe it really suits the bedroom jammer and the garage band. not to mention all the s*** they packed into this amp!!