Cube-20X review by Roland

Roland: Cube-20X

Purchased from: Walter's Music

Okay, first off, I will never give a solid state a 10 for sound, or even a 9 for that matter. You don't get those type of numbers for sound when you're dealing with an amp with inferior construction. However, I can easily say that this is the best sounding solid state/practice amp I've ever used. This amp can achieve anything you ask from it, although you'll obviously never get that authentic tube overdrive out of it. I've used my Telecaster through it and it sounds good with ever pick up option, although I feel it sounds best on my neck pick-up (although that's my prefered pick-up position). It's got a small, small buzzing sound that'll be overpowered if you were to slightly tap your neck. The distortion options are decent, although I've always prefered using my Electro Harmonix Double Muff for using distortion.

I love playing classical, classic rock, and lots of stuff, and I've been obsessively playing for over 4 years, and took lessons for 3 years and got to use top of the line amplification during my lessons, so I know how an amp should be. I guess the only thing I regret not asking is if they sold anything besides Peavey and Roland, since I would have rather owned a Epiphone Blues Jr. or Fender Champion. I love the features included in this amp, although I hate solid states. I really like the amps reverb and the built in tuner. I'd still rather have the Epi Blues Jr. or the Fender Champion, but I wasn't the one Who wanted to go amp shopping (my dad bought a new Godin at the same time), so I won't complain. Hhhmmm, what do I wish it had? Some tubes! If it were stolen, I'd say "shit", and get a tube practice amp. When it comes to solid states, Roland makes them well.

How most people can fill this one out, I'll never know. This amp is only a day old so I think, and hope that I won't have to write anything in here again. So far nothing has been wrong, and it seems quite durable. Hopefully it is a tough as it looks. I guess that it looks like you could drop it a few times, but I don't feel that you deserve a working amp if you're going to be careless with something you're supposed to respect, since it sends out your sounds.

Considering I'm very picky about the style of amps I appreciate, and solid state amps always fall out of being a favorite based on the fact I feel that they're a lower class amp. Still, when you get over the fact it's a lower class amplification style, it sure has a lot of features. Personally, I feel the Boss pedals are second only to Electro Harmonix. The great thing about Roland is that they own the Boss pedal line, which means that this amp, that happens to come loaded with effects, are of a very high quality, it comes with reverb, delay, chorus, phaser, flanger, tremolo, and several different preset gain sounds (overdrive, distortion, metal, metal stack, and lastly tube Drive). It even has a built in tuner, and it has an aux jack, and a headphone jack, as well as the standard equalization. The features make this amp, since it is solid state.

BIGD2
    aksak thanks for the link. I'm seriously considering a 20 or 30x.
    imnotanoob
    I read your review and bought this amp. Very nice. Roland should really pay you!
    Krauser
    would this amp suffice for a reggae/ska type of sound?
    I personally don't play that type of music, but you could get by with it on the 20x if you set it up the right way.