Cube-20X review by Roland

Roland: Cube-20X

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Here is the part that gets me excited. This amp sounds amazing. Roland can emulate a clean tube sound like nobody. The clean channel on this amp is to die for. I won't say that it's as good as the Roland JC120, but it comes damn close. If you like a full bluesy, bell like tone, full of great sustain, buy this amp now. The amp is dead quite even on the distortion channel. The distortion on this amp is pretty good for it's size. I'd dare say that it's about as good as you're going to get in an amp of this size. There is only so much bottom end you can get out of a tiny amp, but either way this little fella surprised me.

I play any and all styles from blistering metal to sweet sounding blues, to staight up weird shit. The Roland Cube 20X will do anything you want it to. I'm not thrilled about the effects section on this thing, mostly because the settings are limited. However, you can get some very interesting things going effects-wise with a bit of tinkering. If this amp was stolen I'd find the son-of-a-bitch Who stole it, kill them with the amp, and then proceed to shred with the bloodied powerfull unit that is the Roland Cube 20X. I've used a ton of small amps and this is the cream of the crop. Stop thinking about the other stuff. This is it.

Rock solid all around. I cannot say anything negative about the quality or reliability of this unit. It's awesome. So far so good. I've never gigged with this thing, but I wouldn't hesitate. As for a backup. I'm pretty sure yow wouldn't need one, but Who knows. That depends on things that are usually out of our hands.

It is a small yet loud solid state practice amp with enough features to cover all the bases. This amp has a clean channel and a lead channel that are switchable via a Roland/Boss footswitch. The downside is that you must purchase this separately. It's got a tuner, but I never use this function. I'm not a great fan of the way the tuner works, so I use an external tuner (hence the 9). I generally use this amp when I can't use my full size rig, mostly for quite practicing.

M13M
    Its a pretty good amp compared to its price. And its pretty easy to carry round. Good practice amp as well
    Dutchone
    my first amp. not much to compare with... BUT I DARN WELL KNOW IT ROCKS. and that Charm is right, and Deathtrashcore isn't.
    hminh87
    Ok. I always though my friend Roland Cube 30X sounded weird for some reason. When I took my Kustom Arrow 16 and compared to it side by side. I was right. The sound the Cube gives is way too digital and "cold" with too much bass sometime(yes, cold as in possosite to warm). The only good thing about this amp is it can models several amp models with some good effects. I know I will not buy this amp for my next. Instead it will be a basic one with good clean and distortion channel.
    hminh87
    Ok. My friend's Cube is not of the X series so i was not exactly giving my oppinions about the amp of this review. I doubt the sound is any different between the two series, though...
    Me@UGC
    aksak wrote: Oops I forgot! One guy was complaing here in his reviews that the 20X users' guide is poor regarding possible settings. True it gives only four examples (Clean Space, etc...). I recommend you to go to Roland Germany webpage, to the Products (in German, Produkte) section, then to the Guitar products (in German, Gitarrenprodukte) section and then to the Roland Cube 20X sub-section. There, by clicking on Soundliste, you get access to a PDF file with a list of settings of your 20X amp according to the style of various famous guitar players. Even if you don't speak German, you should be able to manage. Enjoy it! http://www.rolandmusik.de/hauptseite.sht... Thanks for the tip I have a Cube 30X. Leader of his market. You can't get anything better for the price.
    The Charm
    deaththrashcore wrote: The Charm Are your ears damaged? Your full of shit this amp is WAY WAY WAY better than a Marshall MG. This amp is like an even crappier Line 6 Spider. Too many useless settings and no good sounds. And the power squeezer is like opening the gates of Feedback Hell.
    Well then there must have been something wrong with the cube you played, because all the cubes i've played and heard have sounded great. And I know tons of people who agree with me. Best practice amp in that price range in my opinion.
    Sean-Man
    this amp rocks my balls off, although keep in mind that is a practice amp
    the_axis
    i freakin love this amp to death! exept the overdrive and acoustic sounds could be alot better, but other than that its great and the clean channel is exellent and makes up for the acoustic anyway
    chris70dx
    could this amp make distortion anything like plug in baby, and the delay effect on fury? and if not whats the cheapest effects i could buy to get a decent plug in baby sound?
    georghi
    hi i was just wondering if you use any pedals in conjunction with the ROLAND CUBE 20x amp ? I have a Cube 20x and am trying to run a TS9DX tubescreamer and Boss ME50 through the Roland Amp but am not sure if i should be using the CLEAN channel or the TUBE model on the LEAD channel. what would you recommend ? --