Cube-20X review by Roland

Roland: Cube-20X

Price paid: A$ 270

For this review I will be using a Schecter guitar with double humbucking pick-ups. I play predominatly metal and blues, and this amp suits me perfectly. The metal setting can get brutal distortion for almost all styles of metal, while the distortion/overdrive setting is good for blues. The acoustic simulator is awesome as well. The tube Drive acts exactly like a tube amp, allowing to comtrol the dostortion from relativly clean to metal, but is better for classic rock stuff. The JC clean sounds great with the reverb. This amp could do almost any genre. This amp is designed for home playing, as it is only 20 watts. It can get very loud, but you start to get some feedback when cranked full. It stays clean on the clean channel until you crank it to about 8, but I don't play with the volume over half. I chose this amp over the 15x because of the effects. New players could have a lot of fun with this feature. Power sqeezer is great for playing in your room etc. as you can still get maximum distortion.

This amp could do almost any genre of music. My previous amp was a Peavey Rage 258 and it owns it, especially with the effects. I would buy it again for sure if it was stolen because it does everything what I want to do with no problems at all. I love the metal setting, sounds great with bands like Trivium, Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold. Overall it is perfect for beginning or intermediate players, like me. I highly reccomend this amp.

As I said before, you could not gig or play with drums as it is only 20 watts, but prefect for home playing. It is very durable too, built as hard as a rock. I rest my foot on it sometimes and it's fine and I've dropped it from around 20cm but there are no marks on it what so ever. It is extremly sturdy and does what is designed to do extremly well.

The Roland Cube has some awesome features like the EQ, built in Effects, delay, reverb, on board tuner, clean channel, lead channel, gain, Aux in, footswitch jack and a recording/headphone out and Power squeezer. Power Squeezer lets you play at really low volumes still with a lot of distortion. On the lead channel, there are 6 different Boss effects, Tube Drive, Metal Stack, Metal, Distortion, Overdrive and an Acoustic simulator. As a 'beginner' amp, a new player couldn't ask for anything else. The tuner is really handy as well. It is a great beginner or intermediate practice amp.

lefty01
    None of the knobs are makered between the "0" thru "10". How do I know when I'm on "5", "8" etc...??
    Mrasi
    I've had this amp for about 15 months and it is starting to break down. The overall sound with distortion is very broken up. I agree with uttam, the lead isn't very good but it has served it's purpose with it's clean capabilities. Maybe my effects are just too much for it tho....
    raichu016
    aksak wrote: Oops I forgot! One guy was complaing here in his reviews that the 20X users' guide is poor regarding possible settings. True it gives only four examples (Clean Space, etc...). I recommend you to go to Roland Germany webpage, to the Products (in German, Produkte) section, then to the Guitar products (in German, Gitarrenprodukte) section and then to the Roland Cube 20X sub-section. There, by clicking on Soundliste, you get access to a PDF file with a list of settings of your 20X amp according to the style of various famous guitar players. Even if you don't speak German, you should be able to manage. Enjoy it! http://www.rolandmusik.de/hauptseite.sht... can you send to me the file of that pdf?? cos' we can't open it..
    mightymartin
    i got a cube15x for years now and im searching for something with some more options, just to practise with in my bedroom, though im not sure if i should get a footswitch with these options or get an amp like the 20x, normally i'd pref an amp with the options but since i already got a 15x i feel it could be wasted money, and i dont want a expensive/high watt amp, i'm not sure what to get. anybody has some advice?
    rockstar16
    LOL i dunno if i like this amp, i own it but you cant get a decent f***ing punk sound out of it, its all metal, you'd be better off with a line 6 spider 3 30watt amp. if anyone knows how to get a decent greenday or blink 182 sound, pleas email me or post back. Please do not post that freakin german website with all the setting you can use, its balls LOL.