Cube-20X review by Roland

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Roland: Cube-20X

I play a Fender jazzmaster with the cube and I play experimental, and yes as I've said it suits the music style just fine. The clean setting is all I need and it works fine. I did used to use the amps distortion, but that all changed once I bought a big muff. Doing so made the distortion sound entirly different, as if someone put a thick blanket over the amp. Also, it seems like it takes alot of tone away compared to the big muff. I don't know what to say about it really, I guess my ears were oblivious to it before, cause it used to sound really good to me... oh well. I'm sure Roland has made their cube's lead channel alot better by this point, so don't be discouraged by this. It's still a good amp. The distortion isn't incredibly "brutal" but it will work for you. I don't know about it distorting on the clean channels at high volumes cause I already have problems with my ears and I've never felt the need to turn it up all the way, it seems plenty loud on 2-3. It's a quiet amp for the most part, but it gets pretty buzzy with the addition of some effects. Not really a big variety of sound features on this rendition of the cube..

My impression is that is just an average practice amp. That's why I gave it all 7's because it's pretty good, but it has it's flaws/missings like everything does. It isn't a bad amp but it's not a really good amp either. Just pretty decent. If it were lost/stolen I'd have to buy another one, cause it's not mine..there's nothing I hate about it, but nothing I really love. It just does it's job like I need it to and that's all that should matter. I'd recommend this amp to any begginer/intermediate player.

It seems like a pretty dependable amp. I've borrowed this amp from a friend and have had it a year and a half since.. No problems at all. I wouldn't neglect this amp so I can't really speak for any of that stuff, but I'll bet it could take a bigger beating than you think.. I'm also not sure about gigging either. I don't gig currently but I don't think this could do anything much bigger than a coffee house sized gig. That's just my opinion though, I'd honestly look into something bigger for gigging.

First off, I'd like to point out(if you haven't seen my previous comment)that I'm actually reviewing an older Roland cube 20X. I'm not postive exactly when it was made, but I do know it was made between 2004 and 2006 for sure. This version is a little bit more "no thrills-y" and is much simpler than the other Roland cubes mentioned here, but never the less it's still a good amp. Anyways, the amp is versitle enough for my styles of music(I really only need the clean channel, and I use my own effects/dist.)it has only two channels(clean and lead) three inputs(normal input, aux in, and recording/headphones. A three band EQ and 4 distortion settings(dist., overdrive, metal and metal stack. It also has two nice little prongs on the back to coil the pain in the ass wall plug. The only reason I gave it a 7 is because I think it could have more features. Even though I don't necesarily need the extra effects, I think they would be nice to have in case. Also I wish it had a few more EQ knobs, but that's really it.. I don't feel I'd need anything else with this amp. I use it in my bedroom and it's more than enough for me there. This amp DOESN'T have; the on board tuner and effects. No amp modeling, no power squeeze, no nothing like that. Again, it's still a good amp though.

rayq78
    i have this cube 20x...its nice... but im still planning to replace it with a Vox AC4TV or Cub10. Tube amps are still a must... =)