Cube-20X review by Roland

Roland: Cube-20X

I personally use a Squier HSS Stratocaster, and I personally think this amp works best with Strats. You can still get a 7/10 sound with a Epiphone or a Les Paul, but I think the designer of this amp was basing it more towards the Strat. I play Hard Rock and Blues Rock and this amp keeps me satisfied, whether it be on a little distortion for your blues, or pounding lows and blaring highs for metal and hard rock. There is a power squeezer on the amp so if you want a loud-sounding quiet (if that makes sense) tone, you can have it. However, once you get in the 7-9 range, this amp does get pretty loud (for a little 1x8 10 Watt amp). I wouldn't recommend it for concert playing, but you can definitely Jam with it, no doubt. The clean channel and the lead channel are both great, but like all amps, the Clean gets a tid bit distorted going into the 8-10 volume range. But the distortion is almost perfect. Could use a Boss pedal or too.

I play Hard Rock on a HSS Stratocaster. This amp is absolutely perfect for Blues, Hard Rock, and a bit of Metal and Punk. It's a versatile amp and I'd recommend it for ANYBODY as a Stellar practice amp. It's hard to find things to dislike about this amp to be honest, it's just a Killer amp. I wish I asked for a Cube 40x! All the Roland Cubes are just freakin' amazing, man! I've been playing for 3 or so years and gone through maybe 4 amps but this one is a keeper, until I'm done playing guitar. If it was stolen or lost, I would hunt down the thief and throw him off a cliff. And then go buy a Roland Cube 40x or 60x, maybe 80x. I love what Roland did with these amps! I'm giving it a 9 overall ONLY because it isn't a 1x10 or 1x12. But for a 1x8, 10 Watt amplifier, this is the ultimate combo amp.

If you want to say an effect pedal for a guitar is durable, you say it's built like a BOSS. The same goes for Roland. Roland amplifiers, especially the Cube series, are built tough. I've dropped, smashed, and ACCIDENTALLY kicked this amp several times, and it works fine, no sound issues or anything. The amp has never broke down, and probably never will. In 2203 when they're jamming their paperthin glass guitars, they could plug it in to these 2009 Roland Cubes.

The Roland Cube 20X is a fairly recent, but not new, amp to hit the market, and all I can say is this amp is a beginner/intermediate guitar player's DREAM. I can say without a doubt that it may be possibly the most versatile amp out there, along with the entire Roland Cube series. There are two channels, the Clean channel, which is based off Roland's Jazz Chorus 120 amplifier, and the Lead Channel. Clean is clean, however the lead channel has 6 different levels of distortion. I will go by tuning, which I will later talk about. 6E - Acoustic Simulator; Sounds almost EXACTLY like an Acoustic guitar. 5A - Overdrive; Gives a deep, rich tone, something for LP users. 4D - Distortion; Gives you those screaming highs, perfect for Les Pauls and Strats. 3G - Metal; Really treble-based sound, punk rockers would love it. 2B - Metal Stack; My PERSONAL favorite, gives you a hard rock badass sound you'd expect from a full-stack. Deep, pounding lows, and screaming highs. Even rock Gods could appreciate this level. 1E - Tube Drive; The Tube Drive adds distortion as you play, but like Metal, it is really treble-driven. I'd crank the bass knob for this one. And now the tuner; there is a built-in tuner on the Roland Cube 20X and it's not your average amp tuner, this thing is dead-on. There's no this and that, this can (for your simple EADGbe tuning) give you exact, spot-on tuning. There are 4 effects: Chorus - For those opening Metallica riffs. Flanger and Phaser - Gives you a truly trippy experience. Tremolo - Don't know much about tremolo, but I'm guessing it's decent, on par with a Vox AC30. And then Delay and Reverb: Delay - I don't much care for it, but it's stellar, nonetheless. Reverb - Personally no matter what I'm recording I'll throw a touch of Reverb. This amp has good control if you want a little reverb, you get a little reverb. If you want that hard echo, twist the knob all the way to the right and you've got it. All in all, for a 159 dollar amp, the features on this amp are AMAZING.

JB95
    I've tried a 20x, but I find my own 30x way better. I guess there is several versions of the 20x amp, but the one I tried, sucked hard.
    drawnacrol
    mydian
    sewoo55
    drawnacrol wrote: Templ8 wrote: I'm looking for a modelling amp and am torn between the Cube20X or Peavey vypyr30 ? Cube 30x is an awesome amp. I have both and its much better than the vypyr I play mainly rock and metal. Opinions ? Thanx
    mydian wrote: Never tried this one but the 30X is awesome. This is a much better amp than a crappy Vypyr or Spider. And much better than a Vox in this price range if, and only if, you plan metal.
    hmm..... i don't understand this at all. I've tried out the peavey vypyr and roland cubes at guitar shops and the vypyr sounded way more organic and natural to me. the vypyr's metal tone was heaps better too. not trying to flame, just want to help others make informed decisions
    zegoose
    Hi i am looking for some degree of versatility in an amp (without using any pedals) - hoping to get a decent blues sound and a good sound for death metal. Please tell me which amp I should choose between Vox VT20+, Roland Cube 20XL and Fender Mustang 1. Thanks!
    jquinteroqs
    Ive been using for almost 6 months with my Yamaha Pacifica 112J and a Gibson Les Paul Studio. This is the best Amp for playing Blues! specially when I use it with JC 120 emulations I can handle many famous guitars settings . Overall is a great Product. JQ