Cube-20X review by Roland

Roland: Cube-20X

Price paid: A$ 200

Purchased from: Kosmic Sound

I play through this amp using an Ibanez RG350EXZ (my main metal guitar), some Ibanez GIO piece-of-**** for my downtuning, and a Fender American Standard Strat for blues and jazz. I have gigged with this amp once or twice, and the cleans didn't break up even using the amp at full-tilt, which I found quite surprising as it is louder than our drummer. The distortion models are very good for practicing, but I personally prefer using my pedal chain and running the amp on clean, which leads me to a side note: This amp takes to pedals EXCEPTIONALLY well! I run this setup through it on a daily basis; Ibanez RG350EXZ > ModTone Vintage Wah > Boss AW-3 > Boss MT-2 > Boss OD-3 > Boss CH-1 > Behringer US600. I am surprised at how well it handles them and how good it sounds! This amp suits almost any style, but it does depend on weather you are using onboard effects or separate pedals. The actual pedal effects sound far better than the Cube's built in ones, so it does loose a mark there. But for a beginner's amp or even an advanced player's practice amp, it's sound will blow you away!

I love this amp to bits, it has been my faithful companion for nearly two years now, and I can get virtually any tone I want out of it. But that's the problem... VIRTUALLY. I'm soon to be getting a Jet City JCA5212RC to replace this as my main amp, and I'll be sad to see it gather dust. It will still be my backup amp, and the one I take round to friends houses as it is very light and portable. I have been playing almost two and a half years, and it's taken me 6 months to decide to finally leave this amp and get a new, all tube one. BUT, I will be getting an Ibanez TK999HT Tube King distortion pedal, specifically for this amp, so I will be getting a better, tubier? Tone out of it. If it were stolen I would hunt the person down and drag them through a minefield, for touching my favourite amp! I would certainly buy another cube, but maybe a 40XL instead (Bigger speaker for better sound and projection, more wattage for larger gigs, built in looper, three channels not two) and use that as my backup amp. I also have a Line 6 Spider IV 15w, which I despise. This Cube destroys the Spider anally in terms of effects, tone, distortion particularly, and also ease of use. Two things I wish it had: A Damn noise gate! So when I have high gain pedals run into it it doesn't buzz so much. And a looper, which Roland has now added to its newer series Cubes. Overall, a perfect beginners amp, backup amp, and a practice amp for any guitarist, regardless of skill level or style.

It's made by Roland, who makes Boss. Need I say more? No? Well I will anyway! Put simply, this amp is indestructible! Built just as tough as Boss pedals, this amp could probably hands any form of damage aside from going swimming with it. Kicked it? No problem! Dropped it down stairs? Pfft nada. Had it fall out of the back of your car and bouncy down the highway? Meh just a scratch here and there! I think you get my point, not many things a single human can do will ever damage this tank. Have gigged with it, without a backup, and in fact sometimes it has outperformed my mates 40 Watt Vox tube amp! This amp's build quality is exceptional, what it lacks in a bit of tonal character, it makes up for by being able to survive a nuclear holocaust.

2009 Roland Cube 20X. What an exceptional amp! Amazing amp models, very good distortions and truly incredible cleans! If your looking for great tone out of a small, portable amp, get one of these beasts! Basic features: - 2 Channel (JC Clean & Lead) - Clean volume - 6 lead types (Tube Drive, Metal Stack, Metal, Distortion, Overdrive, Acoustic Sim) - Lead channel gain - Lead channel volume - 3-Band EQ (Bass, Middle, High) - EFX knob (Off, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo) - Delay/Reverb Knob (Delay, Reverb) - Foot switch controllable (Channel switching and effects on/off) - Recording Out/Phones - Power Squeezer (very useful, use it all the time to get a better sound at low volume! Switches amps power from 20W down to 2W) - AUX in jack (for iPod, MP3 Connections) - Single guitar input - Multi-Ply cabinet, closed back - 8in/20CM, 20w speaker x 1 Quite a lot of feature from a small practice amp. All functions have worked flawlessly since the day I bought it, not a single problem EVER, it even survived a power surge at my house. That same surge did $3000 worth of damage by frying our smaller TVA, a laptop and the toaster.

LeftyQ
    This may not be the BEST guitar amp but, if you only need to amplify your sound for your own personal pleasure, or that of a small group, for the money you are getting enough very good sounding features that should appeal to you and/or your audience. I've been using this little amp for a few years now, and can honestly say it is worth the little you pay for it. If you KNOW how to properly adjust the settings, it will speak for itself. If you want to be heard in space, this is not the amp for you. In spite of the fact that there are alot of poorly designed and manufactured products out there, one can't also help but notice that many of the reviews on UG are tainted with unwarranted 'bias' which doesn't rightly represent the equipment they review. "Particularly" with guitars, and amps.
    fpvieira
    i got the roland 20x for 150 with a shiti scort electric guitar , about 4 years ago . What a deal , ive got stoked with it(no the guitar , i have others)ehehe