Cube-30 review by Roland

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Roland: Cube-30

Purchased from: Tonika

I'm using a Samick Les Paul copy (dual humbuckers) with this amp, it's not the best guitar but its good enough for this amp. I've been playing acoustic for two years and electric for a year now. I play all kinds of styles but this amp doesn't handle all of them equally well. First off, the amp is really loud, so dont be fooled by its size, it's good enough for jamming with a band. And although the amp can put out a decent amount of sound, it doesn't sound very good. You can hear that it's a solid state, especially when you use the digital effects and/or amp modeling. It all sounds a bit digital, i.e. it lacks the warmth of a tube amp. Which brings me to the distortionm the distortion is ok, but it's mainly a white noise type of distortion. Don't get me wrong it doesnt sound bad, but it's not top notch either. All in all, I'd say this amp is best for people who prefer the heavier types of music, thats what this amp does best: put out distorted sounds with heavy bass at high volume.

I wasn't really satisfied with this amp until I had my guitar downtuned to C (so two steps down from E), the Roland can put out some sick sounds now. Before I just didn't like the high tones because it lacked the warmth (but that may just be my taste). So all in all I'd say this is a good amp for beginners, although I would recommend the Cube 15 to a beginner because its just as good (it lacks some of the effects of the Cube 30 but you won't need them anyway cuz they aint worth the money). I'd especially recommend this amp to beginners who like the heavier types of rock. To all other musicians I'd say: save up and go buy a Marshall Valvestate, it's worth the money.

I wouldn't use this amp at a gig cause its too small for giggin. But it's a reliable amp, I've had it for a year and have never had any trouble with it.

Ok, first off let me say that you shouldn't be fooled by all the glowing reviews this amp has gotten from other reviewers. You should wait with reviewing for a couple of months after you've bought the amp. Which I've done. The amp is a 30 Watts, solid state guitar amp. It has cosm amp modeling, which is a digital model of a couple of famous amps like the Vox AC30 TB. It's also got some digital onboard effects like chorus, flanger, phaser, gain, reverb etc. A headphone jack is also included, which is useful if you've got neighbours.